Removal of the rubber coating on interior trim?!?!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removal of the rubber coating on interior trim?!?!?!

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
How in the world do you get this crappy rubber coating off of the trim. So far I have used my finger nails, that doesn't work, I have tried sanding, and it just binds up the sand paper, I am at a loss, this is really holding up my project because I can't do any finish work unless this stuff is removed! Any suggestions to help me easily remove it, please post it. I also tried acetone, but it reacts with the base plasic really weird, so I don't want to use that anymore.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, wow, nothing? Maybe I just got a hard one, I kept trying picking at it, for another hour, and I really didn't get that far… I search the web some more, someone said to use WD-40, not so sure about that though, apparently it softens the rubber so it is easier to pick off. I remember removing a windshield using WD to make it easier to cut out the seal, not sure if it will work, but I would also hate to soak my whole dash bezel in WD for it not to work, so I'll try it again, any input guys? I have calmed down a bit so I am not so hostile, lol.

I personally don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Maybe I am obtuse...

I can't remember what the rubber is like but I'd assume it is some silicone formulation that you can't put anything on to effect it as the surrounding interior plastic is far more susceptible to solvents than it is, and the same is true for heating it. If it weren't for that, I'd have recommended xylene.
http://www.plasticsintl.com/plastics_chemical_resistence_chart.html

Use brake fluid. Lightly coat the part in the fluid and give it about an hour and it will orange peal and be easy to just wipe off. Did this to the pieces I had in my Ranger. It pulls off all the coating leaving the bare plastic beneath it. Just be careful and don't overdo it. Brake fluid is a caustic chemical.

I personally don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Maybe I am obtuse...

I am making a custom dash peice, I need to fiberglass the part where the radio goes, there are several places where the rubber coating on the bezel is coming off, and it looks like crap, so I am removing it all, and re doing it in plastidip.

Also, thanks guys for the input. I'll try them.

I think someone a few years ago here used Easy Off to remove the rubber coating.

while cleaning a salvage yard replacement radio surround with Purple Power i noticed the rubber coating was starting to come off. it took a little effort, but i eventually got it all off w/out causing any damage to the plastic. a stripper would probably get it off faster, but i don't know how the plastic would react.

Back