Remove silencer OHV?

GingeRed11

Make Explorers Great Again!
Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer EB 4x4
can someone help me, I've heard of a a lot of people removing their silencers on th air box but I don't know how or where it is, help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is behind the fender, above the right wheel well shield. Take off your air cleaner assembly, now you see a filter housing . There is a pushpin at the top and two rubber cones at the bottom that hold it in rubber grommets. Use some wd-40 to lube the rubber to pull it out.
When you remove that housing, there is a rubber neck you can take off the end. May be good for a HP or two.

To remove the silencer, you have to take off the lower wheel shield. I didn't go that far because the screws were rusty.

It is behind the fender, above the right wheel well shield. Take off your air cleaner assembly, now you see a filter housing . There is a pushpin at the top and two rubber cones at the bottom that hold it in rubber grommets. Use some wd-40 to lube the rubber to pull it out.
When you remove that housing, there is a rubber neck you can take off the end. May be good for a HP or two.

To remove the silencer, you have to take off the lower wheel shield. I didn't go that far because the screws were rusty.
I just have this as my set up
IMG_0608.JPG

This is the only pic I had, if you can see, I just pulled the air box and attached the filter with the existing clip. The air silencer is in the fender? So it don't matter for me?

Yes sir you have a k/n aftermarket filter there. The disadvantage is you pull hot air from your engine compartment which may negate some gains. those filters also put oil on the MAF sensor so it is critical you clean it. If you remove that filter there should be a tube that leads into the fender area and slopes to the bottom.

I see the silencer duct right above the filter. You would have to goto a pick and pull to get it back to stock.

Yes sir you have a k/n aftermarket filter there. The disadvantage is you pull hot air from your engine compartment which may negate some gains. those filters also put oil on the MAF sensor so it is critical you clean it. If you remove that filter there should be a tube that leads into the fender area and slopes to the bottom.

so you recommend that i put the box back on and remove the silencer or block the filter from the engine? what would be the best way to work this method

I don't like KN filters, but others may disagree. They have to be oiled too. Choice is yours. They aren't cheap BTW.

When you buy a Motorcraft filter they have this patent written on the box:

https://www.google.com/patents/US5106397

Pressure drop through the filter was found to be relatively low when compared to conventional flat filter designs. Additionally, the dust capacity of the filter per unit area of filter media was found to be higher. The lower pressure drop is believed to be due to the streamlining of the airflow through the assembly. Blunt surfaces and abrupt airflow direction changes are avoided. Filter loading is increased because the filter loads more evenly. In pleated-type filters which are impacted by an airflow at a near right angle, contaminants tend to load from the bottom of the pleats upward. Once the pleat bottoms fill with dust, the pressure drop through the filter increases and the filter must be replaced. Right angle airflow through a filter also makes uniform coverage of the entire filter area difficult. Some areas become more loaded with dust and partially block the airflow. The airflow is then diverted to the areas of less blockage. This redirection often increases turbulence and reduces the efficiency of the filter

I think it is a good system. The air filter is conical with a frustum shape at the end, and I believe made by purolator for Motorcraft. You have to find a junked explorer with the filter housing. Then remove the rubber grommet neck at the end (that seems like a restriction).

Beyond that you may want to remove the tube in the fender, but it may help scoop up colder air. Colder air=denser = better. It does not seem that restrictive.

Back