Removeable doors... ?? not tube or 3/4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removeable doors... ?? not tube or 3/4

sureshot40sw

Reaction score
City, State
L.A. -- Lower Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 SAS sport
has anybody tried replacing the hinge pin with a bolt to make easy R&R of the doors...??

I already know about tube doors, 3/4 doors and half doors.... I just wanna know about replacing the pin with a bolt.... seems like it would be easier to align the door if the hinge was in the factory position..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks... I figured somebody somewhere had done it... looks like a project for tomorrow... :D

well.. they are done... :cool:

as far as wiring goes... I just unplugged the two connectors on each side... pull the kick panels and pull the harness clips out so that it will pull out...

the bolt was a PITA... a 3/8" was too big for the bushing... I knocked the bushings out and drilled the outer hinge holes with a 15/64 bit and a 12 mm bolt fits perfect..... next time i'll try drilling the bushing out with a 3/8 bit...

thats about it... here are the pics..

100_0731.jpg

here are the plugs

100_0736.jpg

pass side... you gotta remove the puter to get to the harness...

100_0732.jpg

finished product.. my nephew took this pic...:D

100_0739.jpg

these are just for giggles.... now you see why his pic was sideways... :confused:

100_0735.jpg

100_0741.jpg

Back