Removed Key but Engine Still Ran? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removed Key but Engine Still Ran?

tlhayes67

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
I have a 1996 Explorer. I parked this afternoon and went to turn the ignition off. The key just rotated and even came out with no change in the engine running. I disconnected the battery and it still ran. I pulled the fuel pump relay out and the engine finally quit.

I removed the existing ignition switch and replaced it with a new one without the key in it. I put the fuel pump relay back in. I connected the battery and the electricity came on with the radio and the lights on the dash as if the key was in it in a position to turn electricity on. I then inserted the key and tried to start, but it did not start. It did not try to turn the starter even.

Where do I go from here? Many thanks.

I have a 1996 Explorer. I parked this afternoon and went to turn the ignition off. The key just rotated and even came out with no change in the engine running. I disconnected the battery and it still ran. I pulled the fuel pump relay out and the engine finally quit.

I removed the existing ignition switch and replaced it with a new one without the key in it. I put the fuel pump relay back in. I connected the battery and the electricity came on with the radio and the lights on the dash as if the key was in it in a position to turn electricity on. I then inserted the key and tried to start, but it did not start. It did not try to turn the starter even.

Where do I go from here? Many thanks.
Because all you replaced was the lock cylinder, not the actual ignition switch. The switch is on top of the steering column down near the firewall.

Back