removed roof racks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removed roof racks

Whats the best way to cover the holes? Should I just go buy a replacement bolt from home depot to get it flush since if i use the originally ones they will be sticking up. Or should I use bondo or a similar substance to cover the holes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they stick up very slightly.

Some one had the great idea to just out some studs in there. You know just the threaded part.

I am 5' 7" and cant see the roof any way so I just put the screws back in.

who me ?

It says right under my picture :confused:

Mazzasec, if u have touch up paint, u could paint the top of the bolt so it blends in better, just a thought

Also, after you install the stud and sealant,
you can get 2 Chevy Tahoe "luggage rack delete" kits from a chevy dealer. With it, and a little modifying, you will have a 3/16" high long black strip where the stock racks were. Use a 5/16" forstner bit http://www.hectorshardware.biz/shop/product.asp?dept_id=72204&sku=321039&
to bore a holeHALF WAY into the Tahoe strip, where the mounting posts are.
the double sided tape will hold it down real tight-so the strip makes a cap for the holes.
It fits real nice, and tapers down on the ends for a flowing fit.

Attachments

• mx4 side.jpg
    mx4 side.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 666

its kinda hard to tell but just put the bolts back in...its hard to tell really. I mean i notice them all the time but then again i'm 6'7" lol
P2210060.jpg

P1310074-1.jpg

P1310080.jpg

attachment.php

the screws really are not that noticeable.

attachment.php

do you know the size for the set screws ?

How easy is it to take the roof rack apart on the 2002 EB? I would like to repaint the metal parts:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very. There's howto's somewhere here. Did it on my explorer, took less than an hour.

Back