Removing 3rd Row Seats & Installing Cross Brace | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing 3rd Row Seats & Installing Cross Brace

Post number 10 has been selected as best answered.

Pursuit package third row brace

Slick setup and can remote 3rd row seating:

DB5Z-7810780-A-1.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great! thanks for the quick reply. you say "seat"... is it all one piece, or is that 75lb per each seat for a total of 150lbs? (my explorer is currently on order)

Maybe someone will be able to throw it on a scale (or hold it while they're on a scale) and get an exact measurement. Till then, thanks for the guestimate :)

I just threw mine on the scale for you. Entire third row seat unit is 85 pounds.

I posted pictures above of what mine looks like with the third row replaced with a Havis cargo plate. (Sorry for the large pics, didn't realize they would post that big).

Matt

It's been discussed before on the forum with step by step instructions on how to install it.

Good pics elitek9- slick set up for some good looking pups.

Just noticed there isn't a switch pack for the 3rd row seats, are power fold seats an option on the Sport?

Anyway, a good use of space for the little pups.

Good pics elitek9- slick set up for some good looking pups.

Just noticed there isn't a switch pack for the 3rd row seats, are power fold seats an option on the Sport?

Anyway, a good use of space for the little pups.

Thanks! They are both narcotics dogs... my wife has a private drug detection company.

The power-fold seats aren't available in the Sport.

I just threw mine on the scale for you. Entire third row seat unit is 85 pounds.

I posted pictures above of what mine looks like with the third row replaced with a Havis cargo plate. (Sorry for the large pics, didn't realize they would post that big).

Matt

Thanks Matt... appreciate you doin that.

Now I just need to figure out how much the crossbar and cargo plate weigh, and then we can see how much weight is really saved. Are there any other pieces that are crucial to the setup?

I'm also thinkin of removing my spare tire since I have AAA. With these things, as well as changing out my wheels for lighter ones, installing a CAI and then tuning... my girl should really move, and have crazy cargo space to boot!

No problem at all!

The cargo plate is 75 pounds, and I would guess the x-brace has to be 10 pounds or so..... so unfortunately I don't think you'd be gaining any weight benefit, just cargo space and storage.

If you're okay with not having the plate in (you would be able to see the x-brace, though, so may want to powder coat it like adamdz did with his.... then you would be shedding 75 lbs

oh really? 75 pounds! it seems like the cargo plate is needed tho to keep a flat surface to place cargo etc on tho huh? i wonder if I could fab something lighter.

oh really? 75 pounds! it seems like the cargo plate is needed tho to keep a flat surface to place cargo etc on tho huh? i wonder if I could fab something lighter.

I would think you could fabricate one out of aluminum. The gas-shock setup that helps raise the plate may be hard to match, though... but if the plate is way lighter then you wouldn't need the gas-shocks.

elitek9, sorry to drag up an old post, but curious how the installation of the cargo partition was. I have a screen I was going to modify and still maintain the folding seats when I needed, but if this thing can swap in and out within 30 minutes or less, I'd prefer the security of it.

2013 3rd row seat removal

Hello,
3rd generation Explorer owner. Last week a 2013 XLT. I am looking at the room i could gain if removing the 3rd seat. i see some posts for 2011's, is it the same set up? I would love to see some pics of what it looks like without the seat but keeping the rail.
Thanks

Welcome to the Forum chadp.:wavey:
As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same topic. Post 23 will give you an idea of what it looks like with the seats removed in a 2013 Sport. There are also a coup[le of other post. To my knowledge, the set up hasn't changed since the 2011 model.

Peter

removing 3rd row seats

Looking at the x member that the police model has, reminds me of a CHP stang I bought.. it was beefed up with x members, stiffeners and all sort of strengthening stuff.. I have not tried to remove my seat..yet, but I imagine that if there was some sort of stiffener is would just be a solid bar from side to side.. There is no way the kind of support that x bar has can be found in the 3rd row seat.. Actually that looks like the girdle they had added in the engine compartment of the stang

Guys,
I just got a 16 Sport and it comes with the power third row. Has anyone removed the power third row on theirs yet? I am planning to do the x-brace and the load floor and a Setina cargo box, if possible.
Thanks in advance

Guys,
I just got a 16 Sport and it comes with the power third row. Has anyone removed the power third row on theirs yet? I am planning to do the x-brace and the load floor and a Setina cargo box, if possible.
Thanks in advance

See the Sticky section for the whole procedure:

The difference with the Power-Fold seats is that you'll have wiring to hide. That was one reason why I'm glad I got the '14: the Power Fold seats were only an option, and one I did not want. Having all the space down below the deck is much nicer now.

I don't plan to ever carry 7 people. As we plan some long trips I can always use the cargo space. Has anyon removed the 3rd row seats?
I would like to leave the "floor" made up of the backs of the seats and just have more storage under.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back