Removing a rear door latch from inside? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing a rear door latch from inside?

Squirrels

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Hey all, I have a 96 XLT, and the rear passengers door will not open by either handle. I noticed that the lock does not go as high when unlocked as the other rear door. I took the inside panel off and tried every possible way to open release the latch, but no such luck.

My question is, is there anyway to remove the latch from inside the door? I really need some help on this because its getting to be a pain getting my two kids in the car, LOL!

Thanks in advance

I had the same issue. The rear passenger dor does not get used much, at least for me. I used PB Blaster for a few days squirting it in every hole and crevice I could get at to shoot it at the lower latch. The door began to open and close about 1/4 inch at least on the bottom latch. The top latch would always unhook. After 4 days of squirting PB Blaster, which I only use now after trying other stuff with less favorable results, I gave the rear door some real good back and forth jerks until finally the latch gave way. I then removed the latch, by accessing the bolts from the bottom of the door, and cleaned up the latch real good. It should actually be replaced for as much corrosion it has. My driver side lower one does not even latch any more, no matter how much I cleaned and lubed it. Good thing the top one latches. So to answer your question. No, there is no way to remove the latch from the inside of the door. Good luck. Persistence pays.

MNBen

Back