Removing and painting grill on 99 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing and painting grill on 99 explorer?

Hey guys
Im wanting to remove my grill on my 99 explorer XLT and paint it black to help complete my blacked out look! Is it pretty quick to remove? Also have the billet grill I'd like to overlay over my new black grill..anyone else done this to theres? I heard its a problem opening the hood after the billet overlay. So would my grill be better off stock just painted? Thanks for reading (&responding if ya do haha) :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. When you say the grille do you mean the mesch part or the part that has the Ford oval on it?. IIRC if you are looking to get at the mesch part you have to remove the the part that has the Ford oval on it & to do that on our 99 Sport I had to remove the parking lights because there is a screw on each side that they block.

Hey thanks for the welcome! Yes the part with the ford oval on it. Ok gotcha. Just curious if it was gonna be a few hour project or a day project haha

I would say probably 2-3 hour job.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

I moved your thread to our Bodywork and Detailing subforum.

Awesome thanks guys! Got the grill off earlier today gonna finish the paint tomorrow ill post pics when done :):thumbsup:

Finished up the grill today! heres a before pic, just stock:

original%20grill_zpssnz5p01e.jpg

Close up of After:

grill%20done_zpssuqs23wn.jpg

Threw on my cold air intake filter while I was waiting for the paint to dry haha:

air%20intake_zpsw4gkx9pn.jpg

All done..one step closer..although i guess were never really "done" fixing up our trucks lol

20151219_144300-1_zpsrs6jrnyn.jpg

So I just used plasti dip- the black of course- pretty impressed how well it came out. Lets hope it stands up to wash and wear! well worth it only took two cans. Oh I also did a little VHT nightshade over my emblem to give it a light smoked effect, one thin layer and I was good to go!:thumbsup:

Looks good :thumbsup:

Might want to consider some sort of clear coat on your Nightshades. Otherwise it will chip off from bugs, road debris, etc...

I have a Barney purple Limited grill in my garage awaiting prep and coating of black...

Thanks! My headlights i actually bought this way but the emblem i should anyway because I'd like it a little shinier :thumbsup: oh cool id like to see how that comes out. Are you going to plasti dip or paint?

Painting mine. I was planning on painting some of my Mountaineer one at one point, but that never happened yet...

Nice job! The black looks much better than the chrome, in my opinion. Great looking truck too!

Varsity-Thanks! My trucks my baby always doing something to it haha =) yes i agree im not a fan of the chrome bumper myself..deffinatly a more grocery getter look lol

Back