• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Removing bad smells from A/C unit

m4rx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Explorer
Hey guys,

Found out today that the 2009 Ford Explorer apparently doesn't have a cabin air filter.

I've gone through sterilizing it with lysol, but hasn't made too big of a dent.

I checked the drain pipe and it is draining clear.

Normally I'd replace the filter, but since there isn't one I'm at kind of a loss.

What would you recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

D Hook

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Limited V-8
Advance Auto sells a spray you can use on the cabin intake that's under the hood below the windshield. Supposed to rid of mold, odor etc. I've never tried it but have a can sitting in my garage that I'm intending to spray in there next time I clean the interior.

Maybe someone can chime in that knows the exact location of the intake.

Big Z

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
You could try an automotive foaming coil cleaner, too. They come in an aerosol can with a tube. You run the tube up the condensate drain hose and dispense it. Then follow that up with the lysol trick or a more specific commercial product like D Hook suggested.

mgmgmg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 LTD '10 LTD V8
ac foam.jpg

You can buy on Amazon.....

vipersinu2

Reaction score
City, State
The Big City of Orange City, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Navigator 450hp
I use a pump sprayer filled with diluted lemon smell bleach. I spray it up the drip hose, from underneath the truck.

That the only way I found to clear smell.