Removing body mount bushings

Scott B.

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
I started changing the body mount bushings on my '93 (no body lift). Since they are 11 years old, dry-rotted and cracked, I thought replacement would be a good idea.

The manual says to loosen the bolts about 5 turns, then pound on the bolt heads to drive the bushings out of the frame mounts. Guess what? Sometime during the past 11 years, the bushings have fused (OK, just seriously stuck!) to the frame.

Any one have any suggestions as to how to loosen/remove the bushings?

I thought about cutting them or torching them - neither seemed like a promising idea.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to be carefull with the front body mounts as the bolt shaft is threaded all the way. I remember reading several posts on this very topic so give the old search button a workout... What kind of bushings (manufacturer) did you get? I have a Daystar kit waiting to go into my rig in, but have been side tracked for the moment.

I bought Ford replacement rubber bushings from Ford Parts Network. The set was about $150 for my Ranger. Probably a little more for the Explorer, as I only have 6 mounts.

The front mount is different from the others - it is the only one I am able to get free!

I'll do a search - I guess I assumed this topic had not been talked about.

Did your kid come with any new hardware (bolts, nuts, washers etc)? My Daystar kit didn't and I need to replace several of the large diameter washers. I'm not even sure where I can find them.... the bushings near the rear bumper appear to be the worst on my rig..

I didn't get the luxury of buying a kit. I bought individual parts.

The large washer is part of an assembly - the nut, washer, and sleeve (inside the bushing) are one piece. You might want to get new ones from Ford.

Why did you decide to get urethane bushings? Won't those limit flex (a little)? I have also wondered if urethane would yield a harsher ride. But, all my suspension has urethane - which I am really pleased with.

Cheap polyurathane is hard as a rock and would indeed yield a harsher ride and flex. Quality poly bushings like Engery Suspension & Daystar have the best of both worlds. They are flexible like rubber, but chemically resistant and will not deteriorate with exposure to the elements.

Back