Removing broken Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold Studs - 4.6! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing broken Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold Studs - 4.6!

sharonis3

Reaction score
City, State
New Brunswick
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Eddie V8, 02 Ltd V8
Any tricks to removing a broken Ford OEM SS studs... got 7 studs out fine but one broke just below the head surface.....

Can I drill out ? or is this a problem ?

Can I weld a nut over the stud location or will the stainless stud not take the weld?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had good luck with this style extractor:

Use PB Blaster before attempting to remove it.

I have had good luck with this style extractor:

Use PB Blaster before attempting to remove it.
Will try.....Have you used on the Ford Stainless studs....? Will they bite into the stainless - like they do on regular carbon steel studs......?????

Told a shop replace the manifold and gave them Ford Stainless studs to use..... (with new manifold and stainless studs - so I would be done with this forever).......they thought they did me a favour by reusing the old manifold, that looked good to them.....my view is never reuse a 4.6 manifold that has been leaking, as it is warped.....
Sure enough it started leaking again a couple years later....7 came out easy.... but was broken from overtorque.

If I ever have to deal with removing the exhaust manifolds on my Mountaineer I will have them (originals or new ones) planed before being reinstalled. This takes any warping out of play. Or see if I can use a set of shorty headers.

By overtorque - mean it was broken
Will try.....Have you used on the Ford Stainless studs....? Will they bite into the stainless - like they do on regular carbon steel studs......?????

Told a shop replace the manifold and gave them Ford Stainless studs to use..... (with new manifold and stainless studs - so I would be done with this forever).......they thought they did me a favour by reusing the old manifold, that looked good to them.....my view is never reuse a 4.6 manifold that has been leaking, as it is warped.....
Sure enough it started leaking again a couple years later....7 came out easy.... but was broken from overtorque.
i

Got it out with a #2 size of the very short style extractor....😁😁😁😁😁😁😁 worked pretty good... it was stuck pretty hard and it fought all the way out.....

One thing I found with the stainless studs - if the extractor slipped - had to red till slightly before the extractor would bite again

these are much better than the very long “old style” extractors-those long ones would snap and leave you stuck with undrillable mess.....
😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Got it out with a #2 size of the very short style extractor....😁😁😁😁😁😁😁 worked pretty good... it was stuck pretty hard and it fought all the way out.....

One thing I found with the stainless studs - if the extractor slipped - had to red till slightly before the extractor would bite again

these are much better than the very long “old style” extractors-those long ones would snap and leave you stuck with undrillable mess.....
😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
Oops spelling - meant if extractor slipped - had to do a light redrill before the extractor would bite again.....also heat the aluminum around the broken stud with a propane torch.....

Stainless steel bolts don’t rust
but they are not stronger than regular steel bolts in my experience.
stainless also galls easier but nickel based antisieze can help with that.
i would try heat, as stainless is not a good conductor of heat

Back