Removing Cross Bars From Roof Rack | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Cross Bars From Roof Rack

spencer785

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 EB 4x4 V6
Hi there I was wondering if its possible to remove the Cross Bars from the roof rack as they came with my explorer and I never use them. If somebody could explain how to remove them and anything else I need to do that would be great. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you remove your crossbars let me know how much you want for it?

I have not done it myself, I've only moved the bars all the way to the back because someone suggested better mpg's that way, haven't seen a difference myself. My friend did remove his bars, but since it was such a pain he ended up going to the extreme of removing the side bars to get the cross bars off. I don't recommend that though because he apparently broke a seal and ended up getting a little water leak through the roof into the back seat. If you do have to go to that extreme to remove the bars, I suggest you silicone the hell out of things before you reassemble.

When I removed mine on a 2010, I started using the instructions that have you remove the fore and aft rail covers. When I had trouble with the front ones, looked more closely at the rails. I discovered that all you have to do it remove the front "D" rings on each rail and slide the rail forward from the rear stud. Then I purchased four stainless steel screws and a few SS washers and installed them in place of the D rings to secure the bracket inside the rails in place so they can't side around. I don't remember what size screws (phillips). I took one of the D rings to an Ace hardware store rummaged through the nuts until I found the correct size (might be metric).

I had to remove the end caps on the rails and slide them out that way. I added them to the wifes Explorer that didn't come with them.

Why do you want to remove them?

i would love to happen if you can sell them for a great price ebay is expensive for me

Back