Removing DRL module on a '96 Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing DRL module on a '96 Eddie Bauer

freetorare

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Bauer
Are there any tricks on how to remove a non- functioning DRL module on a '96 Eddie Bauer? Do I have to remove the bumper or take the battery out? Any help is much appreciated.
Freetorare

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nope, just unbolt it, and unplug it. they are a little bit of a PITA, because you cant really see what your doing with your hands shoved up there. i would also put some electrical grease in the connector when you unplug it so it will not rust out being empty.

Thanks for the tip. I will surely try to get into it. Thanks

Got the module out and hit the junkyards for a replacement module(went 3x) but nothing works. Do I have to go and donate money to a dealership for a new one? I did checked the fuses and they are ok and also the headlights are functioning perfectly but no drl. What's next? Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks

they aren't easy to find. Dealers are the only likely source $$$. There are "universal units" that places like Canadian Tire sell.... but as you have found, your lights work "normally" soooo unless you are selling your vehicle or need to pass some inspection, you can probably run like that until you find what you are looking for.

I removed mine shortly after I bought my 2000 Explorer in 2003. All lights work perfectly fine without the module ( it had quit working as well)- with the exception of no drl lites. So- I nipped the contacts out of the module & plugged the connector back in. It keeps the connector nicely sealed in case I ever do replace the module ( not likely).But-I'm OK with that. Invested in Silverstar replacement bulbs for headlights & foglights. Use them as needed.And- with the absense of a functioning DRL module- you also regain the flash to pass function of the headlights. Our friends in the US have never lost that function as they had no mandatory DRL -so now my Explorer works like a US truck.. Set the auto headlamps on your rearview mirror and headlamps will turn on if the ambient light conditions warrant it. Enjoy your flash to pass when on the highway & run parks lamps if you are concerned about drl lites during the day.

Back