• Register Today It's free!

Removing factory radio

al bundy

Reaction score
City, State
ILL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT V8 AWD
What do you use to pry the trimpanel around the radio and climate control on a 2003 Explorer? I don't want to use a screwdriver and scratch something up, it's only a month old.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the link. What is the hook tool? Can I make one?

You can get the Ford radio removal tool at Circuit City, any syereo store or at Walmart.

I don't know what kind of hook tool they're talking about. I know that '02 4 door Explorers' radios don't have the hole anymore because they're mounted permanently to the console by screws instead of clips like '91-'01 models are.

You don't need the hook tool for any year X. Take the two bolts out that are above the climate controls, pull the whole black plastic dash piece out, push in the two metal clips on the side of the headunit and it will slide out.

Originally posted by JL 3x12 Xplorer
You don't need the hook tool for any year X. Take the two bolts out that are above the climate controls, pull the whole black plastic dash piece out, push in the two metal clips on the side of the headunit and it will slide out.

Ok well someone needs to make this a sticky...the 2002 explorer is different in a lot of ways....first you have to pry the dash away and then their are two bolts to remove..i've used a small flat head screwdrive and it has worked many a times and it hasn't left any dents...their are two clips at the bottom and two on each side other then that...you might feel like your going o break the radio bezel but you won't....it's just a lot of work...lol...it really isnt'...but it feels like it..lol

Thanks for all the reply's. I am going to start on the install this weekend. Looking forward to a real sound system.

I used a one-inch wide flexible putty knife on the right hand side of the bezel about mid-ways. popped that side out a little, got my finger behind it and worked my finger all the way around untill it finally came out. very tight fit. This worked well for me.

If the putty knife doesn't work, get an icepick and a torch. If you can heat up the tip enough, you need to bend the last 1/2" or so at a right angle to make the "hook". Then you can push it into the gap (very tight), turn it sideways and start pulling. Personally, I think the putty knife is a safer way to do it, but the hook I bought works really well....just a little scary when you start pulling.

dave

Hey, my name is Kevin, I have been lurking around the forums for about a month and finally decided to post. I have an 02 explorer XLS and I have thinking about doing the stereo head unit myself. So I looked around for how to remove it. I have not done it yet, but I have a pretty good idea of how to go about it. Although, I tried removing the dash bezel with help from the tutorials I found, but still dented the outer part of the dash, see pics

100_6396.jpg

100_6397.jpg

The dents are very minor, but my mom thinks I will destroy the truck if I try to do any repairs myself. (I love to customize anything, from guitars, to computers, to goalie masks) And I have had a few failed projects, but nothing major.

Anyway, I used a small flathead screwdriver to pry the bezzel off, and I thought that material was like a pressed leather and would go right back into shape, but it didnt.

So is there any (cheap) way to fix the dents?

And ps, does anyone have any experience with this stereo?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDA315/JVC-Arsenal-KD-A315.html?search=jvc+car+audio&ssi=0

wide butter knife does the trick with out dents. dash is very soft. to fix maybe some low heat to soften it up a little, pinch push it back???

Back