gavin

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
Body Lift issues

So I'm in the process of installing my body lift.. everything's gone smoothly until I get to the driver's side core mount.
The damn bolt is frozen/seized inside the threaded bushing.. it's been soaking for over an hour in some Sea Foam Deep Creep.
But I still, cannot for the life of me, get that bolt removed :fire:
Any tips or suggestions? i'm thinkin maybe just cut the head of the bolt off, but that won't help me much since I gotta drill out the threads in the bushing, and don't need that bolt stuck in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First if you dont have an impact wrench its goning to be hard, but if you do and its still not coming out hot damn that bolt is stuck. try spraying a good amount of wd-40 on it, then if you have a metal pipe that you can put over the rachet(if you dont have an impact) the extra leverage might help to loosen it. if those dont work, and if you have a torch heat the metal so its hot( begging to turn red) and carefully try to unloosen it. If just the heat doesnt work try to put it in the fridge, then torch it, put it back in, then torch it again. The constant expanding/contracting of the metal might make it loose enough so u can get it out. Hope one of these works.

yeah... I tried all that... finally got it, it just took some extra determination haha.
and yes, I was trying an impact wrench, and it did nothing.
Finally, tho, after spraying it down with more deep creep and letting it set for a while longer, and using a 3ft'ish pipe to put on my 1/2" ratchet, I finally got it after a LOT of them "screeching" type noises from rusted-to-hell bolts haha.
but got a new problem now.. can't seem to get the radiator lowered to where it needs to be. There's an extra plastic tab that's in contact with the stock lower mount, and I can't seem to get that tab around the mount...

PDRM0785a.jpg

any idears?

anybody....? would like to get atleast that last part finished tonight, and then loc-tite and tighten all the bolts in the morning

if you cant pull the tab out from where it is now, than you might have to pull the radiator up and take the tab off then. I dont know if you need the tab, but if you dont or if you can fab up a new one, you could cut it off, but youve probably already thought of that. Sorry i cant help more

mitch said:
if you cant pull the tab out from where it is now, than you might have to pull the radiator up and take the tab off then. I dont know if you need the tab, but if you dont or if you can fab up a new one, you could cut it off, but youve probably already thought of that. Sorry i cant help more

it's all good, atleast you tried :D
nah, that tab is part of the tranny cooler.. it mounts onto the rad itself. Just had to basically pull part of it apart, and finally got enough room to move it down... then mounting the lower rad support was a PITA tho.
all I got left to do is loc-tite and tighten all the bolts, then figure out what to do with the bumpers :thumbsup:

Back