Removing lower rear plastic bumper cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing lower rear plastic bumper cover?

gregorma

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Does anyone know how to remove the lower black plastic bumper cover on the rear of a 2013 Explorer XLT with backup sensors and no tow package. Someone rear ended me and that is all that needs to be replaced. If it is as simple as undoing a couple screws and pulling it off I would like to do it myself and pocket the labor. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bumper replacment

You may want to call Ford to see if the sensors can be removed and installed in the new bumper or if the bumper comes with the sensors. Is your bumper painted? If so, the bumper usually will not come painted. With all the clips used on bumpers I would advise to bring it to the bodyshop. I wish it were more simple.

Plus, you'll have to look at it after you pull the cover off- the honeycomb portions of the bumper may have been compromised as well.

Not sure about the explorer, but the expedition, even though it appeared as two separate pieces (painted portion of bumper and black plastic portion) it did not separate as two pieces, the entire cover had to be replaced as one as they were basically sonic welded together.

Does anyone know how to remove the lower black plastic bumper cover on the rear of a 2013 Explorer XLT with backup sensors and no tow package. Someone rear ended me and that is all that needs to be replaced. If it is as simple as undoing a couple screws and pulling it off I would like to do it myself and pocket the labor. Thanks.

could you post a pic of the damage.? I may be able to assist, but i have a 2011

Hello! I know this is an old thread but did you ever find a way to remove the bumper yourself? I got rear ended today also but the impact is not that strong, so I had some scratches on the plastic bumper. I was wondering if anyone had a guide on how to remove the rear plastic bumper. I know it is separate from the body and is removable as I checked the ford spare parts website. Thanks!

Starting to look like a trend! I was was rear ended twice within 6 months. And my 2013 Ex was not even a year old! the first one did $9000 in damage and the second was only $755.

Starting to look like a trend! I was was rear ended twice within 6 months. And my 2013 Ex was not even a year old! the first one did $9000 in damage and the second was only $755.

Mine was just 3 months old that's why it's really painful for me to see the scratched part and wanted to change it as soon as possible, so I will not get annoyed every single day I go back there. Ugh! I hope someone comes up with a video or guide on how to remove the plastic bumper cause I am afraid to remove it myself without a guide... I might break some clips or miss some screws if I do it myself.

I feel your pain brother! I got my '13 Ex on 22 Aug '12 and had the big bang right after Christmas! Both times were after I came to stop at a traffic light and POW! Can't the other drivers insurance take care of the repairs?

Here is a Youtube Video of how to remove the rear bumper cover. It is shown in detail and not difficult. The trick to finding it was to look for how to install a Trailer Hitch kit!

Here's the title to search for in YoutTube:
2011-2015 Ford Explorer Class III Trailer Hitch install BB5Z-19D520-AA 2012 2013 2014

Here's the link:

Holy thread resurrection Batman...

Here is a Youtube Video of how to remove the rear bumper cover. It is shown in detail and not difficult. The trick to finding it was to look for how to install a Trailer Hitch kit!

Here's the title to search for in YoutTube:
2011-2015 Ford Explorer Class III Trailer Hitch install BB5Z-19D520-AA 2012 2013 2014
Thanks for posting the video but unfortunately the 2 members interested in it haven't been around for a few years.

Peter

On a side note, the bumper for a 2018 is indeed 2 pieces. The unpainted lower portion can be purchased and installed separately from the top portion, but there is a core charge.

Back