Removing M5OD with t-case attached? & other questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing M5OD with t-case attached? & other questions...

'93BajaSport

Reaction score
City, State
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer Sport
I have my '93 Sport partially taken apart to install a new clutch. I have only gotten to some peripheral parts so far; the exhaust, trans, and transfer case are still in. I am no stranger to changing engines or drivelines, but this is my first time getting this deep in an Explorer.

First, can the trans be removed without separating the t-case? If so, is it bad or dangerous or a PITA to leave it attached?

Second, I know the clutch is getting questionable, but I am also concerned about the transmission itself. For some time now it has been shifting stubbornly, especially after warming up. No grinding or noises, just slow and difficult to get into gear and shifting between gears. Could this be caused by the weak clutch, or is it more likely that the blocker rings are worn out? It's the original trans with 230,000mi.

Third, is it necessary/recommended/etc to replace the slave cylinder as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do it all the time in my B2, however the gas tank is too close on explorer's to remove both at the same time. YES replace the slave, it could be the culprit to your shifting problems as well as the pilot bearing. Even if the slave is good, Murphy's law will make it leak as soon as you reinstall it, I've had it happen to me, sucks to drop the tranny again the next day.

however the gas tank is too close on explorer's to remove both at the same time.

Hahns is right, its way too close.

I even leave the speedo sensor off the t-case to get it up and down. Makes it easier.

No problem there; I pulled the cable/gear/sending unit out of the t-case already.

Alright then, I guess it all comes out in pieces.

Is there a gasket between the t-case and transmission? I'm gathering up a parts list so I only have to make one trip.

Also, does anyone know where to get the little plastic bushing that goes on the t-case linkage? It's the sort of half-moon shaped one with a square center section.

The plactic thing should be round, sounds like yours is broken, junkyard or ford is the only place you'll probably find it. On the M5OD you don't need a gasket or RTV between the tranny and t-case, if you notice there is actually a drain notch in the end of the transmission.

Just to wrap this up, I replaced the gasket between the t-case and trans to the tune of $11. I also scanned it and created a template so I can make my own in the future. The bushing also cost $11. The old bushing looked to be fiber reinforced resin of some kind that had become extremely brittle since '93. The new bushing was a firm white rubber/plastic. I blueprinted that too should I need another in the future.....perhaps cut out of bronze. I got the trans and case in by myself with a floor jack and some sweat. Since it was my first time pulling the trans out of a 4x4, let alone an Explorer, I won't say how many total hours it took. ;)

After a new clutch, new slave cylinder, new fluids, resurfaced flywheel, and no spare parts on the garage floor, the transmission seems to shift a bit better. I may be able to postpone a transmission rebuild/replacement longer than first thought. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

EDIT: Final count on cuts, scrapes, scratches, and assorted sources of bleeding for the project is a conservative 43. There are little red spots all over the underside of the truck from my cut up knuckles. :hammer:

Back