• Register Today It's free!

Removing needles for gauges?

hockey4704

Reaction score
City, State
west springfield, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
i ordered some new reverse glow gauges, and i was wondering if you have to remove the gauge needles to install them. And if any one has done it, how did you remember where your needles are? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about yours, if they are flexible, try to slide them over the needles. removing them = trouble

I had to remove mine. What you do is take a picture of the gauge cluster once you get it out. To be honest the speedo gave me hell since it is constantly trying to go behind the peg at 0. I didn't know this so the 1st time I did it, I put it all back together, started my Ex, and it said I was doing 30 mph :eek: I was like "WHOA 150 Horsepowa frum ma new gauges YEAH!".. actually I was pissed as hell. I ended up having my friend pace me down our street like 15 times to get the speed matched, taking the needle off at stop and moving it a har. What a pain in the butt. But man my gauges look incredible.

I've never installed gauges but the best way I see to do it is to mark where the needles are when the truck is off, that way you can put them back exactly where they were.

I tried to pull my needles off, but I felt that something was going to break. I just put the dash back together.

I know for a fact on the 2nd gens you do not have to pull the needles off. You shouldnt have to on a first gen either.

Use a fork behind the black knock holding the need they pop right off...

I've done it!!

It all depends on what kind of gauges you bought some brands require to take off all needles and others they slip right over.
ok yes use a fork a great tool for the job. Don't mark your needles while the car is off, u want to have your engine on and warm to see where everything should normally be. To get the speedo to work again I just left it alone for about a week and it went back to normal if that doesn't work i guess you better call up your friends.

slip them over. i have done it, taken them off, done it again, taken them off again, blah blah. it can be done just be gentle. take them off and youll create quite a pain in the butt for yourself.

Originally posted by dha1122
slip them over. i have done it, taken them off, done it again, taken them off again, blah blah. it can be done just be gentle. take them off and youll create quite a pain in the butt for yourself.

This looks like it would work for the speedo tach area
but on the 1st gens the gauges on the left
are in 2 sections and the needles point opposite each other in each section

on one section battery needle points down while the
water temp needle points up

the other section oil gauge needle points down and the fuel gauge points up...

have you slipped it over the needles on this style as well ? if so can you describe how ?

I"m asking as I have the gauges but just haven't got around to installing them.

Thanks
"D"

you can move the needles (like make them point up instead of down) to slip them on, it wont effect it.

yeah just move them

Thanks, I'm still a little unclear,
( I"m asking in so much detail as I've never had the gauges apart before.)

For the smaller gauges on the left of the 1st gen (2 gauges per section)

Did you move both the needles to point ....say at the passenger side of the truck then slide the gauge face on at once.. or did you get it on one of the gauges then move the needle and gauge face around to get it on the other.

Thanks
"D"

Just do whatever works. I would think that nothing would break, so you could try it many different ways.

Originally posted by \99sport\
Just do whatever works. I would think that nothing would break, so you could try it many different ways.

Did you ever get yours installed ?

"D"

I was attempting to put my gauge faces in my scanner. More info here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44710

We tried it on my friends explorer, because it was slightly older, but we needed to pull the needles completely off, and with alot of force, they wouldn't budge. We didn't want to break the gauges, so we just put it back together. I might just bus some real gauges though, but making them myself would be fun.

what about the ones that are sold at www.procarparts.com . the reverse glow gauges, will they slip over? its funny that no one really has an answer. has any one ever installed them?

I think that those will slop over the needles, judging by the size of the holes in the glow gauges.

Here is an installation that might help you decide, based on what is involved:

Dead Link Removed

i made my own and made them slip over. not too hard. those are the only ones ive ever done so i cant comment on the other kinds...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by \99sport\
I think that those will slop over the needles, judging by the size of the holes in the glow gauges.

Here is an installation that might help you decide, based on what is involved:

Dead Link Removed

yeah I saw that, but it is a 2nd gen and the small gauges sort of point the same way.. as opposed to the 1st gen ones.

I have the reverse glow ones (ebay) but I havn't tried to install them yet... pretty neat looking.

Back