• Register Today It's free!

Removing OEM Hid Headlight Bulbs

tinner

Reaction score
City, State
KC MO. area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
Want to try different HID bulbs. The manual says contact dealer, the service dept. says headlight assy. has to be removed to get the screws out that hold the bulb retainer in place. Sounds like a PITA just to replace bulbs.

Couldn't find anything on youtube or google for the Ex.

Anybody with past experience and hopefully an easier method from what dealer says would be greatly appreciated. After hearing what the service dept. said, doesn't sound like a quick experiment with different K rated bulbs.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ballast is held to the bottom of the assembly with screws but the bulb should come out just like the halogen unless things changed? So if changing the ballast, yes the assembly needs to come out.

Want to try different HID bulbs. The manual says contact dealer, the service dept. says headlight assy. has to be removed to get the screws out that hold the bulb retainer in place. Sounds like a PITA just to replace bulbs.

Couldn't find anything on youtube or google for the Ex.

Anybody with past experience and hopefully an easier method from what dealer says would be greatly appreciated. After hearing what the service dept. said, doesn't sound like a quick experiment with different K rated bulbs.

Thanks in advance.
Also keep in mind that it is the ballast that actually determines the brightness of the bulb. So simply changing the "K" number of the bulb may not provide the desired effect if that is outside the range that the ballast was designed for.

Peter

Thanks for the replies-

breshi, thanks for showing the detailed write up:thumbsup:

Don't waste your time with different bulbs, been there done that. You'll get maybe better color but not better visibility. I went from the original 4300k bulbs to generic 5000K to high end 6000k ultinons and no major difference in actual visibility. Finally I bit the bullet and did a $1500 custom mod and couldn't be happier. Of course that kinda money isn't easy to shell out but don't expect the world with changing bulbs. I have many bulbs sitting at home to tell the tale - it's said here many times in various threads that it's the actual lens in the HID headlamp that's the issue.

http://www.lightwerkz.net/photo/shi...limited-oem-xenon-to-morimoto-fxr-conversion/

This is mine.

Don't waste your time with different bulbs, been there done that. You'll get maybe better color but not better visibility. I went from the original 4300k bulbs to generic 5000K to high end 6000k ultinons and no major difference in actual visibility. Finally I bit the bullet and did a $1500 custom mod and couldn't be happier. Of course that kinda money isn't easy to shell out but don't expect the world with changing bulbs. I have many bulbs sitting at home to tell the tale - it's said here many times in various threads that it's the actual lens in the HID headlamp that's the issue.

http://www.lightwerkz.net/photo/shi...limited-oem-xenon-to-morimoto-fxr-conversion/

This is mine.
Thanks roaming, big difference with Hids lens, can't imagine having halogen bulbs. Just trying to go with a whiter bulb like a 5000-5500k bulb.

Thanks roaming, big difference with Hids lens, can't imagine having halogen bulbs. Just trying to go with a whiter bulb like a 5000-5500k bulb.

No problem,

I have my original Philips Ultinon's d3s 6000k if you want them pm me and we can work something out.

Back