Removing or Trimming Front Air Deflector / Dam | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing or Trimming Front Air Deflector / Dam

TomTomNJ

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I take my trucks on the beach to fish. I just got this new Explorer and noticed that the front fascia is very low. I see that I can't completely remove it because it is part of the bumper too. I wanted to take it down and trim it as much as I can so that I have a little more clearance. Has anyone done this or think this is a bad idea? It will definately drag in the sand if I don't. Also, has anyone actually taken there 2011 Explorer on the sand yet? The other problem I see is that I have 20" rims and when I air down, my rims will be uncomfortably close to the road when I'm driving those few blocks to air back up. I'm also not sure how 20" rims will effect it on the sand.

Any feedback would be appriciated. I may just decide to keep it off the beach and just walk on.

Thanks,
Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should check out this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306139

That thread is discussing getting 17" wheels/tires on the limited. That is the direction I am going right now. Maybe you could get a set of tires on 17" wheels, that are maybe an inch or so taller than the stock 20" tires. I would be concerned about doing any custom work like that. Unless of course you are planning to keep that car for a long long time. I always regret doing that type of custom stuff when I decide to sell my car

Seriously? You're actually thinking about hacking up a brand new vehicle?? That's crazy.:crazy:

There is also something in another 2001 Explorer thread on here, about how the owner's manual specifically states that the 20" wheels are NOT to be used offroad, period. There just isn't enough sidewall height to absorb any "shock"/excessive load on the rims. Driving on them with the tires aired down is a surefire way to destroy both your new tires, and new rims.

It sounds to me like maybe you bought the wrong vehicle for your intended usage. Does Ford have one of those "return" programs, where you can swap it for something else within the first 30 days? Or was it Chrysler that had that?

At the very least, you may need a 2nd set of rims and tires, more appropriate to beach driving. You might also be able to get a tad more clearance for your bumper, depending on the rim/tire combo you use.

The other option would be to buy a used cheapo, dedicated "beach truck", just for your fishing trips; instead of subjecting a BRAND NEW, NOT "cheapo" vehicle to salt water and sand.

You should check out this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306139

That thread is discussing getting 17" wheels/tires on the limited. That is the direction I am going right now. Maybe you could get a set of tires on 17" wheels, that are maybe an inch or so taller than the stock 20" tires. I would be concerned about doing any custom work like that. Unless of course you are planning to keep that car for a long long time. I always regret doing that type of custom stuff when I decide to sell my car

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm thinking worse case I have to buy a new plastic fascia. And since it's down under the front of the car, I'm thinking nobody would notice anyway. Just curious to see if anyone else has thought of doing it or has done it. And if the car can't handle sand, I wan't to know now before I cut it.

Seriously? You're actually thinking about hacking up a brand new vehicle?? That's crazy.:crazy:

There is also something in another 2001 Explorer thread on here, about how the owner's manual specifically states that the 20" wheels are NOT to be used offroad, period. There just isn't enough sidewall height to absorb any "shock"/excessive load on the rims. Driving on them with the tires aired down is a surefire way to destroy both your new tires, and new rims.

It sounds to me like maybe you bought the wrong vehicle for your intended usage. Does Ford have one of those "return" programs, where you can swap it for something else within the first 30 days? Or was it Chrysler that had that?

At the very least, you may need a 2nd set of rims and tires, more appropriate to beach driving. You might also be able to get a tad more clearance for your bumper, depending on the rim/tire combo you use.

The other option would be to buy a used cheapo, dedicated "beach truck", just for your fishing trips; instead of subjecting a BRAND NEW, NOT "cheapo" vehicle to salt water and sand.

Well it was either the Exporer or the F150 and I thought about it for many months. The problem is, do I buy a car/truck based on what I plan on doing 95% of the time or do I buy it based on what I do with it < 5% of the time.

At this point, I made my decision and I can't go back now. I don't know that I really did make a mistake. Taking a truck on a beach to me isn't really off road. I would never think this car based truck would do well over rocks and stuff no matter what wheels I put on. But taking it on sand would be fine if I could get a little more clearance in the front.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm thinking worse case I have to buy a new plastic fascia. And since it's down under the front of the car, I'm thinking nobody would notice anyway. Just curious to see if anyone else has thought of doing it or has done it. And if the car can't handle sand, I wan't to know now before I cut it.

Again, it's a brand new vehicle. No aftermarket parts. A new one could potentially be $1000 or more, if you can even get one.

Also, keep in mind, it isn't all about looks. That front fascia/lower air dam is potentially a critical part of the vehicle's aerodynamics. Seriously. Even trimming it a little, could have big negative consequences. Everything from poor engine cooling and a/c performance to dangerous "spooky" handling at highway speeds. I can't see exactly what/where you are planning on cutting, so it's hard to say, but you could potentially affect crash worthiness (front crumple zone) or airbag activation. Modern cars are far more complex than people realize, with many interconnected and interrelated systems and structures.
For that matter, 3rd gen Camaros ('84-'93) were known to have overheating problems directly related to the little plastic air dam, under the front bumper, being torn off frequently on speed bumps and curbs. It was a critical piece, for directing airflow into/through the radiator. Without it , the air would just go under the car, and the radiator didn't see very much fresh air.

I dont' see why you couldn't trim it back some. I'm probably going to be trimming the lower opening on mine to add my Daylighters to the nose of the truck. The two corners look like prime candidates for trimming. That way I won't be decreasing the airflow to the radiator.

P2060006.jpg

Maybe a lift kit will show up in after market. I would not recommend doing any cutting. Because it sounds like you are talking about a matter of inches. You could probably gain an inch or 2 by looking into different wheels/tires. Do what you have to do I guess, but cutting stuff off the bottom of the car sounds like something you would do with an old "1980s off-road only" type of car.

Well it was either the Exporer or the F150 and I thought about it for many months. The problem is, do I buy a car/truck based on what I plan on doing 95% of the time or do I buy it based on what I do with it < 5% of the time.
True. In that case, perhaps the 2nd, "beater", just for the fishing, would be the way to go.

At this point, I made my decision and I can't go back now. I don't know that I really did make a mistake. Taking a truck on a beach to me isn't really off road. I would never think this car based truck would do well over rocks and stuff no matter what wheels I put on. But taking it on sand would be fine if I could get a little more clearance in the front.

I was thinking more about the driving on pavement afterwards, w/ the tires aired down. It wouldn't take much to damage the sidewalls, or the rims.

... I can't see exactly what/where you are planning on cutting...

There's an air dam hanging down below the main bumper fascia that decreases airflow under the vehicle. It doesn't affect engine cooling or airbags. I would expect that due to the mass of the vehicle, it wouldn't affect handling unless you are well in excess of speeds the vehicle is capable of.

My wife had a Firebird of the vintage you mention, and that piece was an air deflector to bring air to the radiator as mentioned. The one in the Explorer isn't set up like that.

Yes, good, yes. I'm liking all of this talk of "cutting" amongst 2011 owners...one day, maybe, in a maybe not so distant time... the 2011 will be cool...
2011_butcher.jpg

(Sorry Draper if this counts as "hating" etc. I just couldn't resist)

Ugh. I am definitely sensing a presence of a "hardcore purist" group in these forums. This car is a new, future-type SUV. I was thinking about the whole "badass truck type stuff". I realized that if someone still wanted to go that route, the expedition is the option they offer. They still have new 2010 explorers at the dealer too. I don't think its very effective to try and change a suv/car, into an "off-road demon". So ya, on that note. Anyone making a Toyota Prius Liftkit any time soon?

I'm sorry, I'm a bad egg anyway, don't mind me. You know some Euros lifted a Smartcar though. And there's a guy not far from where I grew up that has a dual SAS'd 2000ish VW bug. And in case anyone was wondering, that's a JK picture that I butchered in about 5min.

Also, Exp's really aren't "badass truck type stuff" anyway - they have IFS/IRS. (Sorry Exp owners, they still look cool)

Anyway! Back to the 2011, did not mean to hijack this thread at all.

Yes, good, yes. I'm liking all of this talk of "cutting" amongst 2011 owners...one day, maybe, in a maybe not so distant time... the 2011 will be cool...
2011_butcher.jpg

That is awesome! :D

2011_butcher.jpg

Looks good to me!!! Maybe I'll pick up a wrecked or beat up Edge here in a couple of years and do that to it!!

Ok- even I like that... :D

Now all we have to do is keep our eyes out for the first mildly wrecked 2011, it didn't take long for the Raptors (but that makes sense, they mauled it offroading).
I feel so special that people like my quickie photoshop - thank you all!

TomTom, that's the reason I kept my '97 :D

I'm right across the river from you. Did you get yours at Downs?

It'd sell!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i love it, and i think a small amount of lift say 2-3 inches can be done easily to the new explorer, i really crawled around under 1 at the dealers, and the ifs and irs look like canidates for a spacer type lift,
they see mine and usually just let me look,,

Back