removing overload leaf spring

95offroadx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Palmyra, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
i have a soa i got 5.5" of lift in the back right now, if i would remove the overload spring would get it down to 5"?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh come now, u know the answer to this! u did the SOA! of course itll lower it down to about 5".. do note that removing the overload spring would mean that, under heavy loads on the spring, the spring could potentially bend the opposite way it is normally arched.. at this point, the spring pack will probably get very very sick and will need some tender loving care... this also depends on the length and total degree movement of the rear shackle.. if the shackle doesnt allow the spring pack to flatten out before maxing out, then there's no way the spring pack can bend the other way it is normally arched.

ok well i dont want anymore axle wrap, soo i guess ill leave it as is for now

just wondering : is axle wrap that big of an issue off road? i would think that the tires would slip on rocks or whatever before the axle starts wrapping.. i mean i can understand axle wrap out on the street/strip where the tires can really plant themselves on the asphalt, but would they get the same type of grip on dirt and rocks?

Back