• Register Today It's free!

removing overload spring?

slugmike

Reaction score
City, State
Sunnyvale, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 Sport, and would like to soften the ride.

I've read that removing the overload leaf will do this, and will also drop the rear about 2in... is this correct? It also said that the load carrying capacity will decrease.

I don't carry heavy loads, and would really like to soften up the ride... is removing the overload leaf a good way to go? Does anybody have a "how-to?"

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I remember correctly (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), the overload leaf does not contact the leaf pack in an unloaded condition. So, removing the overload leaf will not soften the ride (simply because it's not providing load support) nor will it lower the ride height. It will decrease the load carrying capability. Perhaps you should consider replacing your leaf pack with a mono-leaf from an earlier model Sport. Otherwise, you'll need something custom.

I believe you're right, just prevents the springs from compressing too much when overloaded. So you don't end up like one of those cars with 5 people packed in the back seat and a loaded trunk. What kind of shocks are you running?

i have monroe sensa-tracs.

i've noticed that i have some sag going on, and my ride is SUPER choppy. the explorer sport is used as a company vehicle where i work. the ones at work ride like fluffy clouds compared to mine!!

changing out my shocks helped a bit, but only for a few weeks... then it was back to business as usual.

i was thinking about just putting on a new set of oem leaf springs.. think that would do any good?

Did you notice a difference after you put on the EE sway bar?

EBInterceptor said:
Did you notice a difference after you put on the EE sway bar?

absolutely! a great mod, definitely worth the $

Did it stiffen up the ride? Sounds like the only difference between the company X's and yours in the X-spec sway bar. Maybe that could be causing the stiff ride. One thing is that a cushy ride is never really guaranteed in any Explorer. I feel that the cushy rides are just that, too cushy. A soft ride means leaning in corners and nose diving while braking. If you've replaced the shocks, and love your sway bar, I think that's about all there is to do.

Unless there's an issue with the install, the sway bar should have no effect on the ride. Is it possible the rubber leaf spring bushings are shot? This would allow the springs to transfer more "road feel" into the frame and therefore make the ride feel "choppy". As for a new set of OE leaf packs, that could be pricey and may make the ride feel stiffer yet. Leaf springs have a tendency to "soften up" over time. How many miles on the Sport? You might also think about swapping the leaf packs from side to side. This will help with the sag issue and provide an opportunity to replace those bushings.

I have 50k on the clock now.

The choppy feeling was present before the sway bar. The sway bar didn't really make the ride feel more/less harsh, just better/flatter cornering.

Bronco638 - the "road feel" transferring seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing. maybe i'll give new bushings a try. is that hard to do? most complicated thing i've done was the intake (had a friend help w/ the sway bar)

I have never done spring bushings on an Explorer before. I did them on an old Mustang once and it sucked (due to rusty hardware). But, it kind of depends on what condition your truck is in. With the low miles and the CA location, it might not be too bad. My truck is originally from Georgia and I'll bet it wouldn't be too hard. If you can remove the leaf packs easily enough, then you can beat the old busings out with the BFH or a press. I'm sure there are several threads that address this. Try a Search.

Back