Removing Rear Brake Rotors on 2002 XLS 4x4 4.0 Engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Rear Brake Rotors on 2002 XLS 4x4 4.0 Engine

jac99uk

Reaction score
City, State
Crestview Hills, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I have spent all day trying to fix my rear disc brakes on me 2002 Explorer, but I can't get the rear rotors(discs) to come off. I have tried prying at them and I completly unhooked the cables that control the E-Brake to take all of the pressure off, but they still will not come off.

I have searched the threads, but the best answer I can find is to "Bang the Sh@t Out of it with a hammer." There has to be a trick to remove these rotors.

Please help if you know...my truck is still in the garage on jack stands and will be there until I get those rotors off. :fire: :fire: :us: :fire:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You already have the answer... 5lbs hand sledge is your best friend.

No trick, just all muscle. I also sprayed some WD-40 (which I later cleaned up with brake cleaner). It took a while, a lot of banging but I eventually got it off.

Mike

Disc Removal

I would just like to say thank y'all for the info. I personally got to this website before I took the parking brake cable off, and it saved a WHOLE lot of time! I have a Hayne's Manual for the Explorer, but it said NOTHING about removal, so you guys are lifesavers! thanx again. Michael~

Funny u should bring this topic up. My cousin was working on my left rear rotor for an hour and a half at the Acura dealership he works at, with 3 other techs each with cro bar and hammers in hand.

Real funny sight, think they wanted to find out just how ford tough my truck was hehe. :D

Can someone tell me what sized deep well socket I need to remove the center bolt off the rotor? Thanks.

Changing rear emergency brake pads

Just did a brake job and found both sets of pads for the emergency brake broke off of the core! $75 later at NAPA I have new pads but can not get to the springs to put the new ones on! Can someone tell me what size deep well socket I need to remove the center bolt off the rotor? Do I need to remove this or do you think with some time you can work around it? Is there a better way? I had no luck on my first attempt. Thanks for any help :confused:

I have an 02 4x4 and the size of the bolt on the rotor was 36mm, you can rent a kit from most auto stores if you need to.

My rear rotor was a PITA to get off too. The damn parking brake wore a nice little lip into it which kept it from slidinig off. Once I got them machined they came off with relative ease, even with parking brake pads adjusted. Later discovered that I shoulda unhooked parking cable.

Thanks for the information!

travo1983 said:
I have an 02 4x4 and the size of the bolt on the rotor was 36mm, you can rent a kit from most auto stores if you need to.

I have put this job off for a while now. But still need to get it done. I have already bought the pads it would be nice to have the parking break work again. I am just not looking forward to doing the work!!

Thanks for posting the info on the removal of the rear rotors on the 4X4 2002 Explorer. I spent alot of time yesterday just pounding with a regular sized hammer and a pry tool with no luck. My son had my small short handled sledge but I have it today and I am going to pound away. There are not too many areas to pound on because of the metal shield behind the rotor. I sprayed the hub with a rust buster yesterday and hopefully that will help today. I also have a Haynes manual and its not very helpful. Whats not clear is do you need to have someone pull on the brake cable under the car while you are pounding and prying on the rotor.

The disc brake pads on my Explorer did not have the "squeaker" feature to warn you when the pad material gets low so as a result I ruined my rotors. Bad idea FORD ! I love my Exporer but I am one of the people that needs that warning.

Flydog

I unhooked my parking brake cable from under the car and then the rotors came off. With little slack and to pliers i was able to unhook the parking cable at its junction under the drivers side.

man, that reminded me of last summer, when it seriously took a whole Sunday to change the rear brakes... the rotors and putting the e-brake back together was the worst, since I haven't done it before. Fun was also when I put in the pads the wrong way. DIdn't know they were handed. SO anybody who has his first time with the rear brakes, check how the pads were in there before taking them out ;-)

sometimes the adjustment screw needs to be adjusted to get the disk off easier, especially if they have worn a groove

If your getting your rear rotors machined, the parking drum will also be worked. This means you have to adjust the pads out further to make contact with the drum. I forgot to do this when I put my them on and when I stepped on the parking brake it went straight to the floor.

prerunner02 said:
sometimes the adjustment screw needs to be adjusted to get the disk off easier, especially if they have worn a groove

now I remember, that's what I had to do...

ebrake cable?

So basically take the cable of the ebrake arm? That will allow the shoe to retract. My rear rotor is hung up on the ebake now.

Back