• Register Today It's free!

Removing rear Ford emblem

TowingExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Central MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
Does anyone have any pictures of how to remove the rear Ford emblem from the center of the rear door?

I have a little brown spot on the top left of the paint so I am concerned it is rusting behind the emblem and want to remove it to inspect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is a part of the rear latch/license plate light assembly and the whole assembly is held in place with two bolts on the bottom (if I remember correctly) and at least 2 plastic retaining clips on the outside edges (you need to buy the cheap clip removal tool to make it easy on yourself). I have had to take mine off to repaint/seal the bolts very early on since they were rusting and causing other rust/paint issues because of road salts getting trapped inside the assembly.

It is a part of the rear latch/license plate light assembly and the whole assembly is held in place with two bolts on the bottom (if I remember correctly) and at least 2 plastic retaining clips on the outside edges (you need to buy the cheap clip removal tool to make it easy on yourself). I have had to take mine off to repaint/seal the bolts very early on since they were rusting and causing other rust/paint issues because of road salts getting trapped inside the assembly.

Thank you for the information.

Any tips on removing the interior trim from the rear door?

Did you happen to take pictures?

It is all done on the outside of the vehicle, nothing from the inside. If you look under where your hand goes to use the release mechanisms you should see the two bolts and once those are out you need to pull out on the plastic trim assembly a little to see where the retaining clips are.

It is all done on the outside of the vehicle, nothing from the inside. If you look under where your hand goes to use the release mechanisms you should see the two bolts and once those are out you need to pull out on the plastic trim assembly a little to see where the retaining clips are.

Oh wow, I wouldn't have guessed that. I would have expected you had to remove the interior trim.

I'll give it a shot sometime and let you know how it turns out.

Looked under mine this morning and realized that it is 4 bolts that are holding it on along with the plastic retaining clips that you cannot see. When I removed the assembly I recall it taking me less than 10 minutes to get the trim assembly off without breaking any of the clips, but I was also using a clip removal tool to slide in there and pull them lose. I cannot recall specifically, but I think that I added some small foam/rubber strips to areas of it because I noticed that it was rubbing the paint off the metal in some areas.
I did this four years ago so things are a little fuzzy now, but was surprised how rusted the four mounting bolts were so I wire brushed/acid stripped the rust off of them and put a clear coat back on them before putting back on the vehicle. I would have just purchased new ones at a hardware store, but I was down at my parents ranch on vacation at the time and the closest store was 50 miles away with no guarantee that they had the right ones.
Long story short, I seem to recall now that I did have a small bubbling spot in the paint near my emblem, in the corner possibly, that I stripped down and put touch up paint on that was a result of the plastic trim rubbing through the paint. Like you, that was what started my whole repair experience.

Looked under mine this morning and realized that it is 4 bolts that are holding it on along with the plastic retaining clips that you cannot see. When I removed the assembly I recall it taking me less than 10 minutes to get the trim assembly off without breaking any of the clips, but I was also using a clip removal tool to slide in there and pull them lose. I cannot recall specifically, but I think that I added some small foam/rubber strips to areas of it because I noticed that it was rubbing the paint off the metal in some areas.
I did this four years ago so things are a little fuzzy now, but was surprised how rusted the four mounting bolts were so I wire brushed/acid stripped the rust off of them and put a clear coat back on them before putting back on the vehicle. I would have just purchased new ones at a hardware store, but I was down at my parents ranch on vacation at the time and the closest store was 50 miles away with no guarantee that they had the right ones.
Long story short, I seem to recall now that I did have a small bubbling spot in the paint near my emblem, in the corner possibly, that I stripped down and put touch up paint on that was a result of the plastic trim rubbing through the paint. Like you, that was what started my whole repair experience.

Thanks for the information!

Back