Removing rear interior plastic piece on a Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing rear interior plastic piece on a Sport?

Varsity

Don't need no stinkin 4WD...yet
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport
I have to admit I feel a little confused and disappointed because I would've thought there would be something about this. I'm planning on changing the speakers in the rear of my truck, a 2000 Sport, so it has the massive plastic interior piece covering everything, no panels or separations. I was just wondering how it comes out and what you may need to remove to get it off (like the seatbelts?) and what tools may be necessary.

I apologize if it's right in front of my face, but I was making such good time replacing my speakers until it came time to go to the back and I couldn't find anything on removing it. Anyone have any experience with the big piece? I realize there's really no big reasons to remove it anyways. Thanks a ton for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you will have to remove the seatbelts if you want to remove the entire panel. I believe it is a Torx 45? Take your rear carpet out. You will see black screws along the bottom edges. I believe you will need to remove the screws for the hooks (clothes hooks?).

Yes you will have to remove the seatbelts if you want to remove the entire panel. I believe it is a Torx 45? Take your rear carpet out. You will see black screws along the bottom edges. I believe you will need to remove the screws for the hooks (clothes hooks?).
Thanks for the speedy reply!! That's pretty much what I thought I would need to do but it's always better to double-check. I only have a Torx 40 on hand right now, so i'll have to wait till Monday and I'll grab a 45 from work. I remember seeing one black screw like right in front of the wheelwell but never really got too much further. I appreciate the response and help, hopefully this can help other people too as I was surprised I couldn't find any of this otherwise.

For mine, also a 2000 sport, I just had to take off the speaker covers. Those metal thingys. They actually come off. Just squeeze them together (the tops and the bottom). Taking the whole panel off it a pain, so hopefully you'll see this before you start. :)

Whoa whoa whoa really?? That would save me ALOT of unnecessary work if thats true. Now that I think about it, it does seem kinda squishy back there... I think I'll go out and give it a try since it seem to have stopped storming. I am extremely thankful to both of you!

Oooo never replied back. Yep Alex, that worked like a charm! Saved alot of unnecessary trouble but all is good and done and sounds amazing back there. Just wanted to say thanks to both of you!

Sorry, I didn't check my email so I didn't know you had replied; I was worried though that you had gone to all the trouble.
But glad I could help! I replaced my speakers and I love it too, so much better than stock.

Varsity, I feel bad I misunderstood your question. I thought you wanted to take the interior panel off not just replace your speakers. As Alex posted, all you have to do is remove the grilles.

Back