removing rear latch inner liner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removing rear latch inner liner

removing rear hatch inside panel

Hey guys, how do I remove the inner plastic on the rear latch? I'm getting an annoying noise from inside the latch door and I want to be able to remove the inner door cover to fix whatever is loose in there. I've noticed that there are some plastic hooks that I don't want to break. Is there a way to remove it without breaking them? Any help is great! Thank You.

i used wire cutters, the kind with a flat face on one side and open on the other, not sure if you know what i mean but, i put a thin peice of plastic and slide it underneath the the rim,then slide the wire snips under and pry up.

You can get a special panel puller tool at the auto parts store. It looks like a screwdriver, but instead of the driver at the end, it has a forked end. This slides around the plastic rivets and pops them out without damaging them. You can use a normal screwdriver to pop them out, but this tool makes it much easier.

Good luck!

very easy way to pull out those pesky plastic things out. Just pull on the entire panel... can't get more contact to the head of the rivets then using the panel as a tool. I've taken off the plastic panel on the rear hatch many a time trying to fix rattling (never been able to actually fix it though, or locate the rattling) and I've never had a problem with breaking the rivets or damaging them.

rattling source

I was finally able to get the plastic cover off (took a heck of a long time to take off and put back on) the rattling that i was trying to fix is the locking mechanism for the rear hatch. All the pivots and linkages that make up the locking component has losened up over time. I couldn't fix it. I may try to inject melted rubber onto each pivot point so that it works as a gasket or bushing between each one (hot glue gun maybe?).

Thanks!

Back