removing rear view mirror while still leaving the mount | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

removing rear view mirror while still leaving the mount

beavis195

Reaction score
City, State
Sammamish, WA and Provo, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4 door
okay the glass is broken on my mirror so I went and bought a new one. I can't get the broken one off the mount on the windshield. Its like its glued on there tight and i've been wiggleing it and stuff for a while. Do I have to remove the mount too or will the mirror and arm thing eventually come free? If the mount can stay, how do I get the mirror off? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
You might want to rephrase your questions. I'm a little confuse about what you are asking?

Or maybe I've been sniffing too much of the 87 octane....

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
You should see a screw on the base of the mirror (might be a hex bolt). Loosen that, and you can slide the mirror upwards off the mount.

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
Ohh, I get it now... damn Exxon!

Bruce Rock

Reaction score
City, State
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
My '94 Explorer doesn't have a screw like my '87 aerostar or '95 Sable does. It has a band made out of spring steel that goes across the mount the mirror is attached to, to secure to the mount attached to the glass. You have to pry the band away from the mount. Not as easy as the screw design.

takaminegenie

Reaction score
City, State
Eupora, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4
I work in a Windshield installation shop. Some of the Fords and Mercurys that come through here have that type of mirror setup, kind of spring release. We just take a small hammer andbump it up. Comes right off.

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Be careful using a hammer, the mount is attached well enough people have broken windshields trying to remove it!

Designs vary but the FORD designs I am familiar with have the mirror slide onto the mount on a dovetailed groove, and a spring loaded clip clicks into place LOCKING the mirror onto the mount. The FORD factory tool is essetially two small round wires (probably 1/16 to 3/32 in size and 1 inch long on a handle) that you push into the small slot at the end of the mirror mount farthest from the rounded end. I have had success using a jewelers screwdriver. The trick is to depress the spring clip so the mirror can slide off.The spring locks it in place so you have to keep it depressed until you get it started.

Good luck and Happy Exploring

CHRIS

'96explorereddiebauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clemmons, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Honda Accord EX-L
What I used and what the factory shop CD reccommended was using a flat head screwdriver. Insert the screwdriver at the bottom then push up. The mirror should come out as you're pushing it.