Removing/replacing an alternator in a 1991 3.0L Ford Aerostar. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing/replacing an alternator in a 1991 3.0L Ford Aerostar.

mittenman

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Aerostar 3.0L 2
I recently bought my Aerostar, one owner with 112,000 original miles and minimal rust. I need to remove the alternator and replace. Looking for any help or tips. Haven't been able to find too much on the web.
Thank you, most appreciated!!

I will add that it is the 2WD model.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! The alternator is on the top, and is easy to reach. You only need to use a socket set with box wrenches. Disconnect the battery first, and remove the drive belt along with the wiring which is connected to it.

Thank you for the info BrooklynBay!

1991 Ford Aerostar 3.0L 2WD

Alternator placement.

Attachments

• 20141209_124854.jpg
    20141209_124854.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 219

It looks similar to the set up on my 1988 & 1989 vans. You should be able to do the job in 10 to 15 minutes with a good set of wrenches & sockets. The bolt on the left side of the picture is usually tight so you might want to use a 1/2" breaker bar or a ratchet on it with an extension. Loosen the bolt on the right, then turn the adjusting bolt to loosen the belt. You should be able to push the alternator down a little unless the bolt on the left is super tight.

Back