• Register Today It's free!

Removing seats

andpeo23

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
I am trying to remove the driver seat from my 1997 Mercury Mountaineer but the power seat switch is not working. To remove the two bolts underneath the seat I have to move it forward. Is there a way to manually move the seat forward? Thanks.

No way to move the seat forward manually. Not sure what two bolts you are referring to. There's two bolts in the front and 3 in the back (2 holding the seat and one holding the seat belt slide) to remove the seat from the chassis. Although its a little more difficult without being able to move the seat, you should be able to get to the bolts to remove them. The bolt holding the seat belt slide has a large star bit head but I was able to use a hex wrench to remove mine.

I just did that at the junkyard for a set of good seats for mine, it had power seats.

What I did was remove the seat from the track first, then you can take/disconnect the motor from the track. There are 4 10mm bolts that hold the seat to the track, the bolts are going to be pointing up. They are a pain, and you might want to take the center console out to get to them easier.

Or buy a racheting wrench and work the two back bolts off, but keep in mind you will have to remove the seatbelt buckle slider which bolts to the floor.

Or you can take the passenger side switch off (if you have it, hopefully you do) and put it on the drivers side to move the seat to where you need it. 2 or 3 screws and a couple of clips hold the side trim on, then two screws hold the switch on, take out and install on drivers side.

Back