Removing speedometer drive gear from output shaft on a 1995 Explorer 4wd. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Removing speedometer drive gear from output shaft on a 1995 Explorer 4wd.

dani9678

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer 4wd 4.0
Do you have to pull the transfer case to remove the speedometer drive gear on the output shaft or can you just remove it after removing the output shaft flange and seal? It is a 1995 Explorer 4.0 with 4wd.

Matt

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

dani9678

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer 4wd 4.0
I've searched the forums but have yet to come up with a confirmed yes or no to my above question. I saw a couple of threads where the person said they were going to try to replace the gear by removing the output shaft flange and seal on the transfer case but they never finished the thread with the results.

Matt

2TimingTom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
The '95 is a bit of a bastard year. If it's the same as my '97, then no. But like I said, '95 is a weird year.

dani9678

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer 4wd 4.0
I know that the transmission changed in '96 I believe but not sure if the transfer case stayed the same. Did you have to change the drive gear on the output shaft also? If so then did you have to remove the tailshaft from the transfer case instead?

dani9678

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer 4wd 4.0
For future reference for anyone else doing this on a 1995 Explorer. The drive gear for the speedometer sensor is removed simply by disconnecting the rear drive shaft, unbolting the rear transfer case output yoke with a 30MM socket, removing the seal, and sliding the drive gear out. you tighten the yoke nut between 250 to 280 ft lbs when re-assembling everything.

Matt