Removing speedometer drive gear from output shaft on a 1995 Explorer 4wd. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing speedometer drive gear from output shaft on a 1995 Explorer 4wd.

dani9678

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer 4wd 4.0
Do you have to pull the transfer case to remove the speedometer drive gear on the output shaft or can you just remove it after removing the output shaft flange and seal? It is a 1995 Explorer 4.0 with 4wd.

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've searched the forums but have yet to come up with a confirmed yes or no to my above question. I saw a couple of threads where the person said they were going to try to replace the gear by removing the output shaft flange and seal on the transfer case but they never finished the thread with the results.

Matt

I know that the transmission changed in '96 I believe but not sure if the transfer case stayed the same. Did you have to change the drive gear on the output shaft also? If so then did you have to remove the tailshaft from the transfer case instead?

For future reference for anyone else doing this on a 1995 Explorer. The drive gear for the speedometer sensor is removed simply by disconnecting the rear drive shaft, unbolting the rear transfer case output yoke with a 30MM socket, removing the seal, and sliding the drive gear out. you tighten the yoke nut between 250 to 280 ft lbs when re-assembling everything.

Matt

For future reference for anyone else doing this on a 1995 Explorer. The drive gear for the speedometer sensor is removed simply by disconnecting the rear drive shaft, unbolting the rear transfer case output yoke with a 30MM socket, removing the seal, and sliding the drive gear out. you tighten the yoke nut between 250 to 280 ft lbs when re-assembling everything.

Matt
I am doing this on my 97, but the gear is not sliding off the shaft. Am I correct in assuming the T case needs to be removed?

Back