Removing stock radio/head unit trim? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing stock radio/head unit trim?

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0L V8
I have a 97 explorer still with the stock radio. I am wondering how to get it out so i can put in a head unit. Also i can not find the trim to fill up the space left over after the head unit is in place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 4 small holes need a tool so the radio just slides out really easy. I bought my din removel tool and dash kit from Walmart Good Luck

use a coat hanger...not worth spending $ when you have the tool in your house

if you do not have that either.. you can remove the whoe Bezel and remove the radio from the bezel from the rear of the bezel.

thanks for the info. ill see what works

the din removal tool is only $3-4, the radio surrounds are $10 (all at walmart)... I just bought one today

Question, though... on my 05 explorer do I need to take the part surrounding the radio out in order to change radios?

Garfield said:
the din removal tool is only $3-4, the radio surrounds are $10 (all at walmart)... I just bought one today

Question, though... on my 05 explorer do I need to take the part surrounding the radio out in order to change radios?

Yea, you have to pull the surround off to access the radio. Its bolted in.

Buy the Din tool if you need to remove your radio. Works much easier. Advance Auto, Walmart, Local audio place, will have the spacer and wiring harness you need.

Garfield said:

it is very simple just pulls off..

Back