Removing the grille

ajstar89

Reaction score
City, State
Laguna Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT Explorer
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if anyone could describe how to remove the grille assembly? I would like to paint mine black to match the rest of my car.

I have gotten the top bolts and tabs off but it seems to be secured at the base as well, but I am not sure how. Does anyone know if they are pressure tabs/inserts or bolts.

Thanks for your time and help!

AJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a bunch of 8mm screws along the bottom that you need to pull and there are a couple of phillips head screws on the wheel trim that needs to come out as well. Under the wheel well trim there are 2 screws holding the fascia to the car as well.

I took a look at those screws mentioned above. It seems like a significant amount of removal to access those bolt that secure the grill. Even then the approach to the bolts looks difficult.

I feel that I must be doing something wrong, or mistaking which screws and/or panels you are talking about. Are there any photos of what you are talking about, or other methods of removing this grill assembly?

Thanks

A professional body shop would probably only charge $300 to do it right.

Not saying you wouldn't but I don't think $300 to have it professionally painted would be bad. Have you gotten estimates?

I took a look at those screws mentioned above. It seems like a significant amount of removal to access those bolt that secure the grill. Even then the approach to the bolts looks difficult.

I feel that I must be doing something wrong, or mistaking which screws and/or panels you are talking about. Are there any photos of what you are talking about, or other methods of removing this grill assembly?

Thanks

just pull the entire fascia then you can get to the grille relatively easily. It only takes about 10 minutes to pull the fascia off.

just pull the entire fascia then you can get to the grill relatively easily. It only takes about 10 minutes to pull the fascia off.

Yeah, that is the easiest way. If it's like how they did my 2000 mustang, it's much easier to pull the whole bumper off to get to the bolts at the bottom.

I removed those screws and bolts on what I think is the facia, based on the bolt and srew description. however it did not exposure to the bolts on the grille any more than before.

Do you have any photos that show what your referring to for those bolts and the facia?

you need to take the entire fascia OFF which will give you clear access to the grille

If you go to the Blue Ox website and search on the unit they sell for the 2011 Explorer, and then d/l the .pdf instructions, it will give you instructions on how to remove the entire front grille and bumper assembly, which come off as one piece and is relatively easy as I've done it. Then you can take the grille off from that point.

I was just thinking the other day that I wish the entire grill could be chromed.

I have an ingot silver XLT so the grill is already color matching and looks great. but was thinking what a pain to wax that area with all the dimples :)

stock grill all chromed I think would look really nice... especially with the polished 20"s I have too.

If you go to the Blue Ox website and search on the unit they sell for the 2011 Explorer, and then d/l the .pdf instructions, it will give you instructions on how to remove the entire front grille and bumper assembly, which come off as one piece and is relatively easy as I've done it. Then you can take the grille off from that point.

Ill save you guys the trip

(dead link)

Theres the PDF file :D

Thanks Mike.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Tried the link on July 2, 2017 and it is no longer valid.

Peter

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your help with removing this grille. I was able to do it and love my end result. I decided to go with a satin/matte black and leave the ford logo. I like the way it added some character to the car.

I have also started playing around with some 3M Matte black vinyl. It brought out some more of the hard lines and made it look a little more tough in general.

I included a photo of the grille newly painted, I'll take better ones later. I might do a "how to" later as well, mainly because it is not very difficult at all but there are some tricks to it.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

AJ

P7230014.jpg

Looks great got anymore pics that aren't in the shadows?

Hey Guys,
I have also started playing around with some 3M Matte black vinyl. It brought out some more of the hard lines and made it look a little more tough in general.

Looks great!!!!

And I would really like to see what you have done with the 3M stuff as I am considering using some myself.

Thanks for the post!

The 3m stuff is pretty cool, but harder to perfect than I thought. Cutting it to get straight lines on the car is more difficult than I thought. Right now have it on the center part of the hood. I plan on putting it on the door handles as well, however I am not sure how to take them off properly.

The way 3M advises cutting with an exacto blade has me a little scared about the finish of my car after I cut it. My pressure was very light and I tried to only get the vinyl but I know I had to hit the finish in some places. I am sure I can wet sand it later if I want.

I'll post some more photos after I vinyl some more, ones that are out of the shadows too.

The 3m stuff is pretty cool, but harder to perfect than I thought. Cutting it to get straight lines on the car is more difficult than I thought. Right now have it on the center part of the hood. I plan on putting it on the door handles as well, however I am not sure how to take them off properly.

The way 3M advises cutting with an exacto blade has me a little scared about the finish of my car after I cut it. My pressure was very light and I tried to only get the vinyl but I know I had to hit the finish in some places. I am sure I can wet sand it later if I want.

I'll post some more photos after I vinyl some more, ones that are out of the shadows too.

Exacto on your paint? :eek:

You might try making a template first with tape and paper. Create the edges with 1" blue tape or auto masking tape. Then "fill in" the design with paper or tape. Your should now have a crude representation of the stripe or what ever design you are putting on the paint.

Using tape now frame that design. Apply tape as closely as you can along the edges of your template.

Carefully remove the template only from your vehicle trying not to distort the shape. You should have the outline marked on the vehicle with the tape that you used to frame the design.

Take the template and apply it to the 3M material and carefully cut out using a straight edge. Then remove the template from the 3M.

You'll apply the 3M using the same technique one would use to apply window film;

Get a card table or flat clean surface and locate next to your vehicle, preferably in a garage out of the wind etc.

Wash your hands well. Make sure the paint is clean.

Fill a trigger spray bottle with clear water and a few drops of dish soap. Spray a light coat of the water/soap mix onto the paint. Peel the backing off the 3M material and spray the mixture to the sticky side.

Taking care not to touch anything to the sticky side gently apply it to the paint as closely to the desired finished location. With the proper amount of water between the paint and the film you can slide the film into the desired final location. Don't be afraid to gently lift a portion of the film up to spray more water under it.

When you are happy with the location of the film spray the top of the film and with a clean small squeegee work any air bubbles out from under the film. Again don't be afraid to lift an edge of the film to add more water.

Once you have the bubbles out and the film is perfectly flat give the top one more spray of water and gently squeegee the whole surface down to ensure the whole film has felt pressure against the paint. Follow up with a soft cloth taking care not to run it across the edges in any direction other than parallel to them so as to not pull the film up.

I've done my own hood stripes on my MINI as well as countless other vehicles and surfaces using this technique. The water will not affect the glue as you squeegee most out from between the film and paint. The remainder will evaporate.

As for the door handles. Are you putting film on the handles or the wells behind the handles?

If you are talking about the handles I would not use film. It will be all but impossible to get good results. Besides if you are going to remove the handles to cover them you might as well paint them, or have it done. Remember the long term effect rings and other items in your hands will have on the paint though....chipping and scratching.

If you are talking about putting 3M on the handle wells... that's going to be difficult too. The contour is pretty dramatic for such a small area. The only thing I can suggest in using vinyl is a hair drier and trying to stretch the film into the recess of the well. Again, you might be better off painting that area.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Well done guys... and thanks for the pdf download link... my labor day project is LED strips in the grill wired to the DRL circuit I have had activated. Pictures upon completion. Have a great weekend.

Removing the Grill - tips

In preparing to install strip LED in the grill openings, I needed to remove the grill. On the top, once the hood is opened, is a row of bolts holding a cover between the grill and the rad. Also there are two push lock pins. The center of the pish pin can be lifted with finger nails, so the whole pin cane be removed. Remove all 9 bolts - (I think it was 9) and lift off the cover. Now the grill can be gently tilted away from the rad somewhat. Looking down behind the grill, just above the bumper, there are 4 bolts with nuts visible along the bottom. With a carefull long armm reach and a 10mm short socket, remove the center two nuts, they will come off easily. The outer two will be under tension the whole distance undoing them. Once they are all off, there are two tabs each side lower outer ends of the grill that pop out, and grill is free, no bumper cover removal. Reinstalling, the trick is to get all four lower bolts lined up. Place and tighten the inner two (the first ones removed). That will bring the outer bolts into their location with enough thread to finger add the nut. then tighten them. Re attach the top cover with the bolys and push pins. Be carefull not to drop anything behind the grill in front of the radiator, as it will not fall through to the ground.

I just posted a thread on grill removal... it is not too complicated, just a "be careful" process

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just removed my grille by taking the entire front applique off and must say this is an excellent abbreviated method. Great post for those who are taking just the grille off!

Back