Removing the grille | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing the grille

How do you remove front grille of a 2014 explorer for painting purposes?

Need to basically know if the bumper and the grille are one piece.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved your thread to the Modified 2011+ subforum.

Hopefully someone will have an answer for you here.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

The quick answer to this is no, they are separate pieces. There are 4 nuts that are located where the grill and bumper meet, but they take effort to get to. There are also tabs that hold the grill in place, but once you get the 4 bolts undone, they are easily undone.

Try searching for more info on grill removal. If I remember correctly there was an exploded view of the grill removal instructions posted.

It was a while back Im not sure which thread.

Welcome to the Forum kevin1gonzalez.:wavey:
Ask and you will receive. Better yet, 'Search' and you will find.
The forum has a very handy 'Search' feature that lets you search to see if others have already posted about the topic you are interested in. Good luck with your project and happy motoring! :):thumbsup:

Peter

The quick answer to this is no, they are separate pieces. There are 4 nuts that are located where the grill and bumper meet, but they take effort to get to. There are also tabs that hold the grill in place, but once you get the 4 bolts undone, they are easily undone.

I was able to remove the 4 bolts with a a ratchet wrench. Than you just have to pop out the tabs and the entire grille comes off. Oh, and there are some 10mm bolts up top where the radiator cover is.

It'll be way harder to get the 4 bolts back in but honestly you dont even need them in there. I popped in the tabs and put in the 10mm bolts up top and yanked on thr grille and it stayed perfectly in place. Now I can remove the grille in less than 5 minutes if need be.

Replacing XLT grille?

I was just wondering if anyone has had to replace the grille of an XLT? I was thinking I would like to replace mine with a body-colored one from a Limited as I like them better. Seems like the grille would be pretty easy to replace on the current Ex's. Anyone know if you can order a Limited grille already painted or would you have to get a body shop to paint it for you?
Thanks
Jed

Its cheaper to have yours painted...!

I was just wondering if anyone has had to replace the grille of an XLT? I was thinking I would like to replace mine with a body-colored one from a Limited as I like them better. Seems like the grille would be pretty easy to replace on the current Ex's. Anyone know if you can order a Limited grille already painted or would you have to get a body shop to paint it for you?
Thanks
Jed
As far as I know, all models have the same grill. I don't believe they can be ordered already painted so the body shop would have to match it to your vehicle. In that case, it is probably just as easy to have yours painted.
Good luck.

Peter

just curious, but anyone who changed their emblems on the front, do you need to take the entire grill off or can you just pry the middle bar off. i've seen pics of the center bar off but not sure if you need to take the entire grill off

I bought one off of ebay for $100 and had it painted along with mirror caps to match rest of vehicle. Was not bad to remove old grille, did the swap without removing front fascia. There are 4 8mm nuts that are tough to get to on bottom of grille then there are 4 tabs that hold grille to fascia.

sorry forgot to add comment about emblem, I think would be tough to remove with grille still attached to vehicle, there are 2 nuts and 2 tabs that hold emblem to grille. You may be able to remove all top bolts then pull grille back enough to get to back of emblem to remove.

I just bought a 2014 XLT and replaced the stock grill with a brand new OEM Sport grill. It comes painted and with the Ford emblem. Not cheap though. I was a bit nervous wrenching a 3 day old car but it looks good. The bottom 4 nuts are REALLY hard to access and the four bottom tabs are really hard to pop. Install was easy though. I just couldn't stand the silver grill so I had the new grill on order the day I brought the Explorer home.

Nice site by the way!

I just bought a 2014 XLT and replaced the stock grill with a brand new OEM Sport grill. It comes painted and with the Ford emblem. Not cheap though. I was a bit nervous wrenching a 3 day old car but it looks good. The bottom 4 nuts are REALLY hard to access and the four bottom tabs are really hard to pop. Install was easy though. I just couldn't stand the silver grill so I had the new grill on order the day I brought the Explorer home.

Nice site by the way!
Welcome to the Forum VTR1.:wavey:
I don't know what colour your XLT is but personally I think the contrasting silver grill really looks sharp on some Explorers. It seems top make the rest of the vehicle stand out.
I would like to suggest that you add the model (XLT) to your profile so that it will show in the left margin. That way you won't have to tell us which model you have every post. It also helps fellow members in addressing any concerns you may have since not all models are the same. Many members also feel that in order to prove that you own an Explorer, a picture of it has to be posted. ;):thumbsup:
Happy motoring.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum VTR1.:wavey:
I don't know what colour your XLT is but personally I think the contrasting silver grill really looks sharp on some Explorers. It seems top make the rest of the vehicle stand out.
I would like to suggest that you add the model (XLT) to your profile so that it will show in the left margin. That way you won't have to tell us which model you have every post. It also helps fellow members in addressing any concerns you may have since not all models are the same. Many members also feel that in order to prove that you own an Explorer, a picture of it has to be posted. ;):thumbsup:
Happy motoring.

Peter

Thanks, fixed it.:)

I bought a Tuxedo Black, It's actually my wife's. Here is a pic. I
hope to add a few more things but nothing crazy..
20130831_143106Medium.jpg

Link does not work. I'm taking mine Friday to have it painted, and I want to be able to tell my paint guy the easiest way to do it, because if he breaks something on my wife's 5 day old car, she's gonna be PISSED! :mad::D

Ill save you guys the trip

(dead link)

Theres the PDF file :D

Thanks Mike.

Link does not work. I'm taking mine Friday to have it painted, and I want to be able to tell my paint guy the easiest way to do it, because if he breaks something on my wife's 5 day old car, she's gonna be PISSED! :mad::D

Here is a picture of the Interceptor Grill I removed and installed. Zoom in on the corners to see the type of clips that pop out after the 4 bolts are removed.

(dead link)

Removing grill from bumper fascia

I have a 2014 base model, and would like to have the grill painted. When I remove the front bumper fascia from the vehicle, how difficult is it to remove just the grill from the fascia, or does it come apart at all?
Ive taken many front bumper fascias off Utility PI's over the last couple years, and never paid attention to how the grill is attached, because I have had a reason to take one apart until now that I have my own.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

twodogs603, I have merged your thread with this existing one. A 'Search' also brought up a couple of other threads on painting the grille.

Peter

Back