Removing the Starter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing the Starter

swooper

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
My Explorer won't start. Has a new battery that is charged and I replaced the battery cables last year, so I don't think that is the problem.

I'm trying to remove the starter to get it bench tested, but I'm a little confused. There are supposed to be two bolts that hold the starter in, but at the bottom of the starter (6 o'clock position), I have a threaded rod and nut. Attached to the threaded rod is a bracket that holds the positive battery cable. When I try to remove the nut, it only loosens a couple of turns and then stops. Am I loosening the right thing to remove the starter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, you are doing everything right. The nut is supposed to come off to take the bracket off, then there is another bolt head in the middle of the stud you must remove to take the starter off. Even if the nut doesn't come all the way off, you should be able to slip a straight wrench in there to loosen the stud.

It may be too late but, before you remove the starter did you check the fender mounted relay? Those usually are the bad spot in the system.

Yea, you are doing everything right. The nut is supposed to come off to take the bracket off, then there is another bolt head in the middle of the stud you must remove to take the starter off. Even if the nut doesn't come all the way off, you should be able to slip a straight wrench in there to loosen the stud.

Awesome. Thanks. I wasn't sure if I had the right bolt or not. Will try to take it off tomorrow when its a little warmer.

It may be too late but, before you remove the starter did you check the fender mounted relay? Those usually are the bad spot in the system.

It was pretty cold out, so I didn't get too far today. I did a voltage drop on the fender mounted relay and got 0.2 volts, which I thought would be ok. Is there anything else that I should look for?

if the nut only turns a couple of times, make sure you're turning it the right direction.
what's it doing when you turn the key, clicking, trying to turn over, or nothing?
when you get the bolt out, and if the threads are stripped, you might want to get a replacement. and get the type of starter (if you replace) that's for your type vehicle, manual or automatic.

if the nut only turns a couple of times, make sure you're turning it the right direction.
what's it doing when you turn the key, clicking, trying to turn over, or nothing?
when you get the bolt out, and if the threads are stripped, you might want to get a replacement. and get the type of starter (if you replace) that's for your type vehicle, manual or automatic.

When I try to start the Explorer, it just clicks once. Starter does not engage and nothing else happens.

The starter is covered in oil and grime, so that may be the reason the nut is stuck. I'll clean it with some brake clean and try again.

Thanks for the help. Pulled the top bolt from the hood using an extension and swivel. Bottom one was easy with an open ended wrench once I knew that I had the right bolt. Will get it bench tested this week.

Pulled the starter and bench tested it. Starter is bad, so I'll be buying a new one. Any suggestions on which one to get? Looking to avoid any fitment issues. Also, are there differences when it comes to the connectors on the starters...specifically the spade connection?

Pulled the starter and bench tested it. Starter is bad, so I'll be buying a new one. Any suggestions on which one to get? Looking to avoid any fitment issues. Also, are there differences when it comes to the connectors on the starters...specifically the spade connection?

I ended up buying a Remy remanufactured starter locally. Bolted right up without any problems. FYI, They've changed the spade connector. You need to snip the connector that goes on the spade tip and crimp it onto a connector that is on the new starter. Then you need to heat the shrink tubing.

Truck started right up after installing the new starter. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back