Removing the stereo system | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Removing the stereo system

Nick623

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
I am in the process of removing the entire stereo and radio system. I removed the rear passenger quarter trim panel and there are three pieces under there. One is a long black plastic piece and there are the two silver boxes too. What are those for?

I removed the silver box to the far left with several wires plugged into it and my door locks continued to lock and unlock by itself. How do I prevent this kind of thing after removing the stereo system.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

FaFaFoHi

Reaction score
City, State
Merrimack, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
I have an 01 and it was not too hard. Do you know if yours has an amp built in? Mine did not. There are wiring harness adapters available to use with aftermarket radios. I did not have to fiddle with anything in the back at all. The radio came out, unplugged the antenna, a block with 3 rows of pins and a block with 2 rows of pins. the 3 row is not ued with aftermarket. My 01 has rear radio controls in the back seat. Hope that helps

<

Nick623

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
Yes mine has the amp built in. I would like to remove all the three pieces from under the rear passenger quarter panel and install nothing in its place. Just a simple removal of everything. How do I do this without screwing up any electrical stuff?

<

FaFaFoHi

Reaction score
City, State
Merrimack, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
easiest thing to do would be to get an amp bypass harness that is specific to your vehicle. check out crutchfield, or someplace like that.

<

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
easiest thing to do would be to get an amp bypass harness that is specific to your vehicle. check out crutchfield, or someplace like that.

I agree with FaFa. I have actually done this, using the Crutchfield harness. Today I finally got around to pulling the defunct CD changer out today. It is held in with double sided foam mounting tape.

<

Nick623

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
And this amp bypass harness will allow me to run no amp or is amp bypasses to be used with aftermarket amps?

<

pbnj22

Reaction score
City, State
duluth minnesnowta
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt 5. v8 awd
And this amp bypass harness will allow me to run no amp or is amp bypasses to be used with aftermarket amps?

Either or.. Depending if you will be running another amp from your new deck or if you will be using your new decks internal amp

<

Nick623

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
I will not be running any amps, I will not be running anything from the stereo system.

<

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
Then do the bypass, Nick.

<