Removing trans/ how to test xfer case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing trans/ how to test xfer case?

neo95

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt V8 AWD
Hey guys, my truck wont move after a loud noise upon acceleration. I initially thought it was the transfer case since the truck rolls in park. Took out the xfer case and as far as I can tell its working. The front and rear shafts spin when I turn the output(?) shaft. No crunching or weird noises from it. Is there a way to test it without opening the thing up? I'd rather not take it apart if the problem ends up being transmission related.

Question 2, Im going to pull the trans to see if its broken. The truck is AWD and the trans sits on the cross member that houses the back ends of the torsion bars. Does the trans come out with that cross member in place or does it need to be removed? I'm assuming theres some serious tension in those torsion bars and wouldnt think they would be removed...

Could the flywheel or something else broken? Cant figure out what happened. Thanks!
'97
AWD
v8

Anyone with experience removing a trans from an AWD explorer, I could really use some advice. If like to get this thing figured out. Thanks

Back