Removing Transfer Case?

ttbit

Reaction score
City, State
Maryville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 ST 5.0 sold
'07 ST8
What is the best way to remove the transfer case from the transmission on a 1996 5.0 Explorer?

I have the tranny and case out and want to separate for more room for moving and I plan to drop the 5.0 and tranny in together next go around. Don't think it will fit with the tcase attached.

I am moving to the other side of town, so the least messy would be great. There are 4 bolts that hold the extension housing and 6 for the tcase, I believe. Which set should I remove to separate?

I haven't worked with 4x4/AWD applications before so all of this stripping down for a 5.0 swap into my Sport Trac has been a new learning experience. Just want the safest/easiest way to do this.

Thank you,
Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In order to avoid to lose - by accident - the parking pawl actuator, I would remove the 6 (or 5?) bolts that holds the Tcase. IMHO

In order to avoid to lose - by accident - the parking pawl actuator, I would remove the 6 (or 5?) bolts that holds the Tcase. IMHO

Thank you.

once all the bolts are out how do you separate the transfercase from the transmission. i have the bolts 5 bolts out of the tcase and both drive shafts disconnected with a jack underneath the tcase for when it comes down. for some reason its still holding on to something, possibly the gasket in between the tranny and tcase is just that strong?

Yeah the original gasket seal is pretty strong if its the original gasket.

EDIT -- oh and you dont really need the jack. Just get under the transfer case, support the case with both of your hands and slide/wiggle it backwards. Its a little heavy but you wont die (just dont let it freefall onto your body). You can also use a floor mat or something between you and the transfer case just so the protrusions of the casing dont leave bruises.

i read somewhere that said not to pry it with a screw driver because the case is made of magnesium and its potentially dangerous? i read it on another thread on this forum. i think maybe i'll grab a leverage bar and push down against the tcase from the bottom of the truck

Yeah the casing is magnesium/aluminum and you shouldn't pry directly on the mating surface. However, there are some ears, tabs, and other protrusion on the casing that are not used for mounting and/or are not that critical so you can use these to put a slight lever against.

what exactly is the hazard with megnesium, is it bad to breathe in or does it just break easily?

what exactly is the hazard with megnesium, is it bad to breathe in or does it just break easily?

It's very fragile and Tcase halves are very expensive.

rubber mallet

Yeah its not that its bad to breath in, its just it fractures and cracks right away instead of bending.

Back