Removing Transmission Shift Cable from Metal Tab | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Transmission Shift Cable from Metal Tab

clevalley

Reaction score
City, State
Warrenton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
Last night I replaced the VB as I had a serious blowout of the gasket (see thread)

I am going to adjust the bands and want to move my shift cable out of the way but for the life of me cannot figure out how/where the release tabs are to separate the cable.

I can remove the end of the cable from the shift selector (ball on post), but forward of that, their are supposed to be 'tabs' which release the cable.

I can remove the white clip for the shift adjustment, but the tabs to separate the cable so it can be removed from the metal tab holder is supposed to be aft of this, correct?

I tried searching for something with pictures but am at a loss - people say once you figure it out it is easy but I am not having much luck.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Figured it out, the tabs were collapsed, it came right out...

Figured it out, the tabs were collapsed, it came right out...

Thread moved. Please read the "rules" for posting in the 911 sub forum. Thanks:thumbsup:

valley, I hope you spread the tabs back out, I had to do just that, because it popped out of the square hole one night while I was driving.

Back