• Register Today It's free!

Removing vanity light bulb?

Cashcrazy

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited Explorer
I searched and found a thread that showed a razor blade being used to remove the plastic cover over the vanity light bulb but I have had no luck. Is there a trick to get this off without breaking the cover?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just used a small screw drive to carefully pry it down and get my fingers under it and it just pops off. That worked for me.
Then it just snapes back on.
Bob T
:usa:
Maybe I should make sure we are talking about the same light. I was referring to the one on the interior roof.

I am talking about the one on the sun visor.

Sorry about that my fingers went into gear before my brain.
I used a box cutter on mine but it did mark it. They are not easy to come out.
Bob T

Mine are marked and not out yet. Did you pry directly on top of one of the tabs or get in between them?

I think I pried it between them. It has been a while since I did it.
Bob T

Thank bob. I got them out. It does take a little practice. I used a box cutter and finally was able to grab it in between the tabs. I was worried the tabs would break but they are very small. I included a picture in case someone runs into the same issue. Seeing the tabs might help.

Glad you got it out.
Bob T

How did you get those out? I just picked up a 2002 explorer and got the led's in the puddle lights, map lights and rear roof lights. The last ones I want to do are the vanity mirror lights and can not figure out how to remove the covers. I tried a small screw driver, razor blade, and pocket knife. No luck, it doesn't even seem like they are trying to budge. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty excited to start getting the explorer to where I want it to be. I have only owned it for a week so far but in the plans are bigger wheels and tires, roof rack and front brush guard.

I was able to get mine out with a box cutter. Now I did have the visor out of the car at the time, so I was not working overhead.
Bob T

This is how I did it. I had to force the blade down in order to grab enough of the cover to pull up enough to get a small screw driver under it. I hope the short video helps others that run into this issue.

Direct Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISex4IWACh4

Thanks for the video! Looks like I will have to remove the entire visor to try that method. The plan is to get the led's in there. I tried doing it in the truck, but couldn't get it to budge. I actually broke the tip of two razors trying it.

Thanks again.

You're welcome. good luck with the LED's.

Back