Repair or cash it in?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Repair or cash it in??

2001 5.0L 2WD MERCURY MOUNTAINEER PREMIER 130,000 miles

00w0w_a0F8iCBZlGQ_600x450.jpg

$1899

2001 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER PREMIER

Just saying...
That's a bargain if it's really all that. I'd go get it if I needed another one.

Find me a SOHC PO/RHD Explorer for sale like that, good price and not wrecked, the V6 blown is okay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find me a SOHC PO/RHD Explorer for sale like that, good price and not wrecked, the V6 blown is okay.

I know where there is TWO actually.

But first your going to have to say "please", put $1000 in my paypal account AND say "Explorer's have 21 gallons fuel tanks" if you want me to tell you.

That last one is not negotiable.

:laugh:

That 01 Mountaineer looks nice, but the 2WD for me here in southern Wyoming during winter :nono:

^ Yeah but you don't know what state it's really in till you get there. That one has a hood that looks weathered so much worse than the rest, that I'd assume it has been in some kind of accident and the owner did bother to pick one at a junkyard that started life the same color, but didn't bother to get it painted to match even if just a matter of wet sanding and spray can clearcoat... or maybe that is what he did but it happened 15 years ago and the spray can coat didn't hold up as well.

Not that it's necessarily a deal breaker, just hard to say how deep the damage goes and how well it was repaired.

It's common for the paint to peel off on the hoods and roofs in the hotter states like FL, TX, AZ, NM.

Could have put a junk yard hood on just to make it presentable so he can sell it.

Could have also swapped the speedo at one time to with a lower mileage one.

Carfax can tell.

toypaseo probably has a mint blue hood already, knowing him. :laugh:

Looking at the photos, the hood looks like the only thing that might would be less than a perfect match, maybe, hatch is peeling too though, hoods have weird accidents like my current one has a place in it where it was closed on a ratchet, custom curves so if the core support looked good and it drove good I'd buy it, that's a steal on a V8 with low miles, that's roughly what my Eddie Bauer will have once the V8 swap is complete.

^ Agreed, but nobody is comfortable sitting on a bomb. My '98 still only has a little over 100K mi on it, but they are hard (stop and go, hills and curves, not highway) miles, so having the SOHC alters my long term plans.

For example, recently I started to hear what sounds like a lower left ball joint with play. If it were the OHV V8, I'd be budgeting for premium moog upper and lower control arms (so I had new CA bushings too), but since I have the SOHC, maybe I won't get the value out of new CA bushings since the ones I have aren't a problem yet, so thinking shorter term I will probably just replace one lower BJ at a time, maybe not even using premium parts.

My assumption has resulted in a choice that may be valid, but still self-depreciated the vehicle, and ultimately that could make me replace it sooner.

So, having the SOHC that might grenade soon, just saved me $150, lol. Kidding aside, I can't complain about the very low repair costs I've had over the life of the vehicle, of course part of that was due to DIY savings. The thing is, if I were to buy a (new to me) vehicle I want a few years worth of longevity so I can refurb it and expect to get value out of that. Something something build on a strong foundation.

If I had a crystal ball and could go back and buy a SOHC version new for $2K less, I'd do it. $2K over 20 years... pays for some repairs, but makes end of life more uncertain which isn't where anyone wants to be if it's their daily driver now.

I wouldn't buy a SOHC 2nd gen today, unless it was the best choice in a bad situation which could depend on your location and timing.

toypaseo probably has a mint blue hood already, knowing him. :laugh:

No... but I could get one for $56 plus $10 core charge... pending luck in the junkyard :shifty:

@koda2000
Ha! What if it had ZERO miles, though? Still the dismal attitudxe? imp

Unlikely to find one with ZERO miles, but to be quite honest... No, I still don't want anymore of those engines in my fleet. It breaks your heart when you have a vehicle that's otherwise in great shape except for a timing chain problems that are so expensive and/or labor intensive to repair. My daughter will probably be looking for a newer vehicle this spring. We'd consider a low mileage Gen III Explorer, but it would have to have a V8 for me to even look at one. JMO,

How long they last is about maintenance, how well it was cared for and did they do anything before a problem turned up. With great proactive maintenance, a 200k used model can be a wonderful vehicle. The 96-01 Explore 302's are the best example. They do well with average to poor maintenance, and basically never fail if well cared for. The big trick is like any used car, finding a well cared for vehicle. Then you must give it great care yourself, which few do.

To the OP, I'd do the least to sell that one, and locate a better 302 version. The mileage difference is very minor, the reliability difference is huge. I'd take my 302 trucks over any 2013ish vehicle, for reliability. After about five years, owner care or neglect is the most important reliability factor, not the make or mileage.

How long they last is about maintenance, how well it was cared for and did they do anything before a problem turned up. With great proactive maintenance, a 200k used model can be a wonderful vehicle. The 96-01 Explore 302's are the best example. They do well with average to poor maintenance, and basically never fail if well cared for. The big trick is like any used car, finding a well cared for vehicle. Then you must give it great care yourself, which few do.

To the OP, I'd do the least to sell that one, and locate a better 302 version. The mileage difference is very minor, the reliability difference is huge. I'd take my 302 trucks over any 2013ish vehicle, for reliability. After about five years, owner care or neglect is the most important reliability factor, not the make or mileage.

I agree with your statement regarding the 302/5.0L. I've also read that some people believe this is true for the 4.0L SOHC, but I have to disagree with them on that subject. As I've said before, no amount of oil changing is going to prevent plastic parts from breaking. Why some SOHC's seem to go further w/o timing change problems than others is a mystery. It's certainly not the quality of the parts. Perhaps it has more to do with how gently they're driven? I'm opting out of this thread now. Bye.

The SOHC it's my opinion care hasn't got too much to do with how long it lasts, my 01 Eddie Bauer had the original engine, looked spotless inside, rattled like no tomorrow at 197K sometimes, but my 2001 XLT I sold last year was also a 4.0 SOHC, engine was a replacement but it had 237K on the hull, and the engine, when they installed it they didn't even change the oil, the filter said May 09, and last week I saw it and it's still good as new, so the SOHC is a gamble, would I own one again? No, I have a spare 4.0 engine sitting here but no intentions of ever using it, I got it for nearly free and am just keeping it for the offhand I got a Ranger that needed it.

I agree with your statement regarding the 302/5.0L. I've also read that some people believe this is true for the 4.0L SOHC, but I have to disagree with them on that subject. As I've said before, no amount of oil changing is going to prevent plastic parts from breaking. Why some SOHC's seem to go further w/o timing change problems than others is a mystery. It's certainly not the quality of the parts. Perhaps it has more to do with how gently they're driven? I'm opting out of this thread now. Bye.

Yes I agree. The SOHC has inherent problems, related mostly to the hard parts and components. Any great oil or changing intervals will not stop the mechanical springs of the tensioners from wearing out. Those are not robust enough to last 150k miles reliably(as a majority of existing vehicles). That's the main issue with those. The plastic wear surfaces of the guides also will wear over time, but the best oil and adequate tensioners will prolong those for much longer than with poor oil/intervals, or failing tensioners.

The only reasonable care for the SOHC 4.0's is to fully replace all of the tensioners at about 75k miles(nobody does that(and Ford doesn't specify it(that would open them up to lawsuits fast))), plus use great oil changed regularly, plus use great air filters changed regularly. All of that is a ton to ask of people, nobody does that, but I've tried to with my one 99 SOHC truck.

But that is also a lot to ask people to do, given Ford's lack of acknowledgement that the engine isn't reliable to survive on their service recommendations. They ignore the problem(after the initial band aid of recall with symptoms under 75k miles or five years), thus the SOHC 4.0's are doomed. Virtually nobody takes responsibility for any maintenance if the OEM guidelines are inadequate. Ford still maintains that those engines should or could last 150k miles without major work. We all know that isn't true or reasonable.

The 2000 is already sold. Was craigslist for less than 24 hours.

Somebody got a deal. Unfortunately, it wasen't me!

I consider the SOHC engine design only half of the reason not to buy a 4.0L.

The 5r55e is the other half.

@Kidd7

Here you go. Has everything you need already done to it and hopefully close to you.

00C0C_34NtPRnKNjf_600x450.jpg

1998 2wd 5.0L 118,000 miles

Torque Monster Headers
Shift Kit
Dual Magnaflow
Lowered 3 inches
Cobra Wheels with 285 Nitto's

$3,200 OB :eek:

1998 Ford Explorer LOW MILES

If he still has it 3 weeks from now, it's mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back