Parts or services wanted

amachinistizme

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
New Britain, CT.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sport L.E.
Does The front driveshaft turn w/4WD off in a 1999 ford explorer sport? If not, HOW can I disengage the transfer case? Will I RUIN the transfer case if I go over 45 mph? Does anyone know of a reputable 4 WD repair in the Greater Hartford, CT. area, for older Ford's. {No dealerships please}

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. The whole front end is live. Why do you need to disengage it?

You can do a “brown wire mod” if you have the automatic style 4wd, but the front shaft and diff will still turn.

Yes. The whole front end is live. Why do you need to disengage it?

You can do a “brown wire mod” if you have the automatic style 4wd, but the front shaft and diff will still turn.

^ this.
the only way you can have it so the drive shaft wont spin is to convert the front hubs to manual locking hubs. i think there is or was a write up on how to do it here, but you would have to do some searching to find it

If this is still about your right rear wheel making whomp sounds, that's not going to be the transfer case as long as you're sure it's the right rear or that if you swapped the wheel to a different location, the noise followed the wheel.

What is making you suspect that the transfer case needs attention? As MB420 already stated, the front driveshaft always spins, is driven by the wheels turning when not in 4WD mode.

^ this.
the only way you can have it so the drive shaft wont spin is to convert the front hubs to manual locking hubs. i think there is or was a write up on how to do it here, but you would have to do some searching to find it
Thank you. I was concerned that my transfer case was stuck.

If this is still about your right rear wheel making whomp sounds, that's not going to be the transfer case as long as you're sure it's the right rear or that if you swapped the wheel to a different location, the noise followed the wheel.

What is making you suspect that the transfer case needs attention? As MB420 already stated, the front driveshaft always spins, is driven by the wheels turning when not in 4WD mode.
Universal joints...probably original. Anybody use Spicer universal joints?

Spicer are fine.

Does The front driveshaft turn w/4WD off in a 1999 ford explorer sport? If not, HOW can I disengage the transfer case? Will I RUIN the transfer case if I go over 45 mph? Does anyone know of a reputable 4 WD repair in the Greater Hartford, CT. area, for older Ford's. {No dealerships please}
96 was the last year to have true 2wd. Two things make it possible. in 2wd power is cut to the brown wire (you can do that). Also the front axle has a vacuum disconnect (special parts) to break the passenger wheel.

What I don't know is if its ok to drive the output of the transfer case without 4wd engaged. That will happen without the disconnect. Probably is ok.

Also depends what is wrong with your transfer case.

Yes I do
Factory used Spicer
My mechanic said - "the transfer needs to be taken apart to replace the front seal."
Is that true? {Doesn't seem logical}

Have to ask the
4wd guys

If it’s leaked enough fluid to notice it’s probably damaged internally and will need a rebuild anyways.

If it’s leaked enough fluid to notice it’s probably damaged internally and will need a rebuild anyways.
Leaks very little fluid, {no noise} and it's the front seal...{I'm getting my U-joints replaced & the front CV attached.

It doesn’t hold very much a just refill it regularly .

Back