• Register Today It's free!

repairs, maintenance and lift kit

Larry_NM

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4x4 EddieBauer Explo
I recently acquired a 2002 Explorer 4WD, 4.6L 8 cyl, 4-door, 137,000 mi, all stock, that is currently a little bit of a beater but overall seems to be in sound mechanical condition, and I'd like to transform it from beater to just older vehicle. As part of the first round of maintenance I need to replace all 4 struts, upper ball joints and rack & pinion. Because having a lift on my 1995 Explorer 4WD was so great to have, I'd like to do the same to the 2002. And since I need to replace all 4 struts then why not do the lift now instead of later. I've read a couple of threads on this forum about different height lifts and have some specific questions. I don't need to go crazy with the lift and it seems like a 2.25 front, 1.75 rear, 1.5 body lift is a popular option.
If I did that kind of a lift, can I still use the stock struts or do I need to get a different length?
Do I need to get different upper control arms and ball joints or will stock work?
Would I need a steering rod extender?
Would there be any other modifications I'd have to make for this kind of lift on this vehicle?
BTF appears to be a go-to place for lift kits and information. Are there any other kits I can look at?
If there are other threads that are relevant to adding a lift for this specific Explorer, please feel free to point them out.

You can use your stock struts. The way lift kits work on these are just metal spacers that go on top of the strut. You will only need a steering extension with a 3 inch body lift, but 1.5 you'll be fine. Also, BTF upper control arms are recommended but not particularly necessary.

Back