replace load leveling shocks in 2000 limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replace load leveling shocks in 2000 limited

yglide123

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited '13 Sport
Has anyone ever tried replacing the automatic load leveling shocks on a 99-01 explorer? I tried searching; but didn't find much. Apparently there were two different ride adjustments for these cars.... I'm not referring to the 4 air shocks in the '95-98 models; but simply the rear automatic load adjusting shocks in the '99-01 models.

When we bought our X we were told by the mechanic that one of the shocks had a small leak... after towing my boat all summer with it the car's air pump runs every time it stops... so I think it's time to replace them. Unfortunately nobody seems to have them... not autozone, pep boys, rock auto, 4 wheel parts; etc.... should I get it from the dealer? I'd like to keep the feature if it's not too horribly $$$.

I'm also assuming that it isn't too complicated to do this myself if I can find the part... does anyone have experience with these? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These Monroe shocks worked for my 1999 with load adjust. They are easy to install.

www.rockauto.com 1-866-762-5288
322 40006
322 40007

are you referring to:

"MONROE Part # 40007 {SPECIALTY SHOCK ABSORBER}
REAR LEFT; 4WD; Limited with Automatic Ride Control; This unit is a Non-Electronic Adjustable unit; This unit has been designed to replace adjustable unit."

does it work any differently than the shocks that came with it? I guess I'm just confused about the part that it's "non-electronic"

I haven't called the dealer yet - but I'm assuming that getting it that way would be more $$... just not sure how much.

Thanks for your input!

My 99 only has one air line going to each shock, no wires. It works the same as the originals as a load leveling. The air line will press and lock into place. These shocks also replace the 4 shock air ride system (98 and older??), without using the electronic hook up, that is what they are referring to.
After installation, spray the air lines with soapy water to check for leaks.

ahh - gotcha... so Rock auto probably was just confused thinking it was the auto ride leveling model ('95-'98...)... so the monroe ones just plug right in to the existing air pump setup? Sounds good to me!

Good idea on the soapy water too.. I'll give them a try and let you know how the install goes. thanks!

Ok - so the shocks finally came in - but in the packaging it does state that it is only for the '95-98 model and not for the later models. However - it looks exactly like what is currently on my 2000.

I e-mailed Monroe and they said that I need a different shock (although the one they are recommending looks much different than what is currently on the truck). So now the dilemma is whether to install the ones I have, or whether to send them back and get the "right" ones?

I think the ones I have will fit just fine - I just want to make sure that they will operate properly and not be a safety hazard. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Is there any difference between an "air" shock and a gas pressurized shock? The ones currently on the truck say gas-pressurized but I think the new ones for the '95-98 are air shocks... but maybe that's the same thing?

Any suggestions would be great!!

My shocks are 40006 and 40007 and they work fine. Call www.rockauto.com 1-866-762-5288 for a second opinion.

Replaced the shocks with the 40006/7 tonight and everything fit just fine. The ride is rougher - but hopefully that will get a little better after it's been driven a bit.... I just took it around the block tonight so far.

The install was a lot easier than I expected too. I notice you're in Sunnyvale too - small world! Thanks again for all of your input.

My ride felt a little more firm when just driving down the road, but improved greatly when turning into a driveway or going over bumps. My X would rock like a boat, back and forth 2-3 times when turning into a driveway, but is now solid again.
It is a small world, I'm on Sunnyvale ave. at El Camino. I might have to steal the secret of the heated mirror from you....I can't find detailed information on how to wire mine in.

You were right - the shocks felt fine after a few hundred miles. And after a road trip to Colorado recently they've got a few thousand miles on them now!

I'm not sure how the heated mirrors are wired - but you're welcome to take a look at mine and see how they're hooked up if you're still trying to figure it out!

Thanks again for all your input!

quite small - I'm near sunnyvale ave and murphy! Does your ex have different colored taillights? I think I've seen an EB on Sunnyvale ave like that....

I know this post has some age to it, but is this still good for the rear shocks? What about the front shocks?

I have almost 200k on my new-to-me 2000 Limited and it has not had any love for years.

Wayne S

Back