• Register Today It's free!

replace lower oil pan gasket

oz16us

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
has anyone replaced their lower oil pan gasket on the ST? Just wondering if it's an easy job removing. Thanks in advance

I haven't. Looks straight forward.
drain oil. remove bolts. clean all surfaces. new gasket. tighten in criss-cross pattern. 80 lb-in. (approx. 7 lb-ft)
Are you sure it's leaking? I have oil drops(not dripping) in the front area of the pan. After many cleanings and re-checking. I have determined mine is coming from the rear main seal. It could also collect there from leaking valve cover gasket(s)-(behind where it's very hard to see) and running down.
Loosing a few drops here and there is a lot cheaper than dropping the trans to fix my seal. I'm leaving it be. Unless it starts pouring out. Which may or may not ever happen.

I haven't. Looks straight forward.
drain oil. remove bolts. clean all surfaces. new gasket. tighten in criss-cross pattern. 80 lb-in. (approx. 7 lb-ft)
Are you sure it's leaking? I have oil drops(not dripping) in the front area of the pan. After many cleanings and re-checking. I have determined mine is coming from the rear main seal. It could also collect there from leaking valve cover gasket(s)-(behind where it's very hard to see) and running down.
Loosing a few drops here and there is a lot cheaper than dropping the trans to fix my seal. I'm leaving it be. Unless it starts pouring out. Which may or may not ever happen.

sorry, i didn't realize you replied (just saw a notice in my spam mail). Is the valve cover gasket hard to change out? thanks

Back