Replace P/S rack and pump, steering wheel turns violently on its own??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace P/S rack and pump, steering wheel turns violently on its own???

EvinH

Reaction score
City, State
Catskill, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer ST
Hey Guys,
I'm hoping someone will have some insight into what is happening on my 01 ST. I just replaced the P/S rack and pump, got everything connected, followed the instructions on how to bleed the system before starting the car and on the initial start, checked for leaks. There were none, so I went to turn the wheel to check it and it just starts turning violently on its own. The only way to stop it is to turn the car off. Is this related to the Airbag slide/sensor in the steering wheel or something else? Did I mess up the high pressure and fluid return? I have the high pressure line connected to the top port on the steering gear and the return on the bottom.

When going through my Haynes, I missed the part where it says to have the steering wheel locked when you remove the steering shaft so not to allow the steering wheel to turn freely as this may damage the airbag slide sensor. Will I need to replace this or is this an adjustment? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could have messed up the clock spring but that is not what is causing your problem there is something wrong with your new steering gear.

Really? I mean i've heard of bad reman'd parts, but man that would so suck if that is the problem. It was a huge PITA getting it out and back in. Should I try flushing and bleeding it again? I mean it's the only obvious thing since there are no electronics controlling.

I'm looking at some diagrams and I think I may have the high pressure and return line crossed. Can anyone verify if the HP line goes into the top or the bottom port on steering gear?

Figured it out. I had the HP and return line mixed up on the steering gear.

Yep I did same a ***** to change again

Yep mixing up the p/s feed and return lines will make the steering wheel do this. As soon as I read the title to your thread I knew what you'd done.

You have the pressure line and return line reversed. Pressure line is to be closes to the ground in other words the bottom connection. Return line in the upper position. top closest to the yoke..

Back