Replace PCM on 95 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace PCM on 95 Ford Explorer

Galen Fous

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ford Explorer
I have been searching to see if I might be able to replace what I understand to be the PCM on my 95 Explorer.

I just had the ECM (same thing?) replaced month ago, and also had a related problem with the fuel pump and battery. The ECM repair guy would not guarnatee the job if I did not do the battery and fuel pump as well. Did not have the money at that moment, so had to leave without warranty. A week later had a problem and wound up replacing battery and fuel pump at another shop.

Yesterday was driving and suddenly the explorer was choking and sputtering like crazy barely made it the last mile home.

Lifted the hood and it was smoking and stinking like rubber. The wiring harness coming out of the PCM was charred and outer-rubber coating melted off a good amount. Not sure what caused the overheating

So I am already broke from the $1300 I put in last month. I only have modest skills and tools, but is it reasonable to try to get parts and repair on own. I am worried about whatever codes techie stuff might be involved. Have not been able to find any video instructions or such.

Any help appreciated.

Galen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's hard to comment much on this without a lot more information. For your wire harness to be smoking and melting, there is WAY more current going through something then should ever be there (and you probably have significant harness damage). That kind of current will destroy the module quickly. You need to repair the electrical problem before putting another module in there (and killing another one).

At first the link with the battery and fuel pump seemed like a crackpot idea, but your mechanic probably knows something more about the source of the problem, which is causing him to make that recommendation. The fuel pump is connected to the PCM through a relay, so it is unlikely that the pump is causing the problem on its own.

It's going to take a lot of electrical diagnostics to figure out the real problem and to locate all of the damage in the electrical system. If you trust that your mechanic knew what the real problem was, he can probably fix it faster than anyone else at this point. If you question his diagnosis then take it to someone else for a second opinion. Unfortunately, that kind of work runs up the labor charges pretty quickly.

thanks for the insights and feedback rb142…damn, wish life…and electrical systems were simpler!

check the fuses

I suggest that you check for blown fuses. If any are blown that would provide the potential source of the high current flow. Do you have the V8 or V6?
Edit: I just realized the V8 wasn't available in 1995.
95WiringA.jpg

You might check fuse 13 (30 amp) in the power distribution box.

Thanks for the idea

You might check fuse 13 (30 amp) in the power distribution box.

I did, but fuse 13 is a 60 amp fuse in my 95 explorer, so want to make sure you are talking about the same fuse box
DSC02667.jpg

I hope that image comes through…it is what my fuse box looks like.

power distribution box

That is the power distribution box in the photo. It looks to me that the 60 amp fuses are 1 and 2 and that 13 is a 30 amp. Why do you think 13 is a 60 amp? The lid of the box should identify the fuse locations.

the box lid schematic shows the 2 - 60's amp fuses indicated in positions 13 and 14 at the rear of the box

in that case did you mean fuse #1 towards the middle of the box?

Thanks

Galen

PCM power relay fuse

I couldn't find a 1995 user's guide online but the 1996 power distribution box looks like yours:
PJBox1995.jpg

The fuse to check is the 30 amp one indicated as PCM Power Relay which is Fuse 13 in the previously posted wiring diagram.

Back