Replace radio with back up camera and digital screen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace radio with back up camera and digital screen

I have a Kenwood DDX574BH, no GPS but it does have Bluetooth for phone/music/GPS through your smartphone. Controls Pandora/Spotify, and plays DVD movies as well. Also has a USB jack for music stored on a USB drive, as well as firmware/software updates

It has a great graphic EQ built in, as well as parameters for speaker type/size/placement.

The Pandora is a bit wonky at times (sometimes will not connect) but otherwise works and sounds great.

Unless you are looking to spend quite a bit Head unit GPS isn’t that good. If you have an iPhone get a deck that has CarPlay, or if android get their equivalent ( can’t remeber the name right now). Most that support those support Waze, which is what i use when I have the choice.

For the backup cam you will get better results if you spend a few more bucks and not get the bargain basement $19 license plate mounts.

What’s your total budget? Installing yourself?

I run a Kenwood DDX773BH. Best unit I have ever had to date. It's a couple years old now, and I'm sure there are newer versions out there, but this unit is still available. Good device for a not so high of a price.

I run dual camera's on this, front & back, and use decent aftermarket shielded HD cameras. Picture is outstanding, and you can control the cam direction views, with adjustable directional lines, or without.

The dude in this video is kind of annoying, but does give a detailed rundown of the features and use.

I need a new headunit. My “current” head unit is a rock solid Alpine that has been in all three of my Explorers/Mounties. Nothing like that made in America quality. (I think I got my first Explorer in 2000).

My 3 absolute needs are to run a backup cam, front/rear/sub channel outs, and Waze on the display.

Back