• Register Today It's free!

Replace removed PAT

manlow

Reaction score
City, State
california
Year, Model & Trim Level
ranger 08
I recently purchased a used 08 Ranger for my son. When I went through the paper work process, the dealership's accountant asked if I wanted to keep the PAT for $595. When I said no, she offered it at $495. I did not want to pay the dealership another red cent so had them remove the system. It turns out the PAT on 09 Rangers is standard . . . don't know about 08s.

My questions: can I purchase the system somewhere else and what exactly was removed when they did it. Will the keys they gave me work with a new system or do I purchase those too. The ranger won't fit in my garage and must be on the street over night.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you remove the PAT system, the truck won't start (or run.)

I think the stealership might have had some incorrect information about your vehicle. (How's that for political correctness!)

In reality, they were trying to stiff you for another $500.00.

The PAT system in "built-in" - it is part of the electronic system of the truck (computer, ignition, etc.)

Pretty sure your PATS system is still there and still in tact. An easy way to test would be to order some blank ford pats keys on ebay (i got two for $13) and have a local place cut them to be the same as your current key. Then try to start the truck with them. If it works, then your pats system is disabled. If it doesnt work, then you can use two working keys to add the new key to the pats system, info is in the thread Tbars linked above =]

My GUESS:

Its likely a key chip the dealership installs on all vehicles on their lot, you can keep it for $500 (gives you the ability to disable the vehicle by removing the key card) or they will remove it for $100 HOW NICE!

This is when you tell them to stuff it, its not your fault they put this sucker on all their cars and tell them you remove it and I am not paying for the removal.

they tried to get my wife to go for the "extended warranty" since I am a mechanic and its a Toyota we didnt want the $4000 dealer packaged warranty, they said we would not get finaincing unless we got their warranty, thats BS!!!! we got financed and cancelled the warranty within 30 days LOL, whaddya know, the loan is still good!!

I have stealerships and their "charges"

Every vehicle I have bought from a dealer lot had a key card secutirty chip, most dealers removed them, one did not......never saw a charge for it, looks like a $4 key and some wires... I ripped it out myself years later

As far as I know 90% of all Fords after 1998 have PATS from the factory, if they give you the option to remove it I WOULD, simply because it gives me the ability to lose my key and still start the truck, also I wouldnt have to pay big $$$ to Ford when the engine computer fails, or have to deal with PATS if I wanted to stuff a powerful V8 under the hood, but thats just me :)

What's funny is I have an OBDI engine, and even when I start my truck, the anti theft light still blinks...lol... but the alarm goes off if you mess with the truck latch nad try to open the door. I think my pats is disabled. I have aftermarket pats keys. I should try and get regular keys cut and see if it works.

PAT removed

Regardless, sounds like I made the right decision to have the anti-theft system removed - in addition to all the other crap they tried to sell me. I will continue to look into this - thanks for all your insite. Very helpful! :thumbsup::rangertan:

...Be sure to return to this thread and let us know what you find out...This could help save others some money who are stuck with the same decision...;)

Back