• Register Today It's free!

Replace stock head unit?

mad_dog97

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 EB
As I've been looking at upgrading my '04 Ex to a new '12 I had a random question. Can you even replace the stock stereo head units in these? It seems that many of the new cars (not just Ford) have much more integrated stereo systems and I'm not even sure if other head units would fit or work.

It's not something that's a priority for me, but just curious whether it was possible. Also curious what impact this industry trend would have on the secondary car stereo business (Pioneer, Kenwood, etc).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm sure it wouldn't be a problem putting an aftermarket stereo....you would probably just lose the features it comes with.... for ex: a/c and heated seats, rear a/c controls...granted, that's if you get the factory sony stereo....a lot of aftermarket radios can still utilize steering wheel controls and come available with bluetooth...

As I've been looking at upgrading my '04 Ex to a new '12 I had a random question. Can you even replace the stock stereo head units in these? It seems that many of the new cars (not just Ford) have much more integrated stereo systems and I'm not even sure if other head units would fit or work.

It's not something that's a priority for me, but just curious whether it was possible. Also curious what impact this industry trend would have on the secondary car stereo business (Pioneer, Kenwood, etc).

I'm sure someone will do it eventually but it's not going to be easy for sure. Seems to me the MFT system is the most intagrated of any car out there right now. If you replaced the stereo how would you control all the other stuff? The heat and AC have manual controls but the rest of the features are intagrated. You would be better off upgrading the speakers/amps.

Just curious what feature you'd want that is not available on the current model?

Almost every media medium has been accounted for in this Ex.

better sound.....

better sound.....

Have you heard the original unit?! It's a SONY system with built in subwoofer and sounds pretty damn good!! I have always upgraded HU and subwoofers in all my other cars before, but not this time! I'm very pleased with it as is.

i'm not saying i wanna upgrade MINE....yes, i have the sony radio, and although it DOES sound good, it could sound better.

i have a related question....since the speakers are normally the weak link in oem systems...does the sony/mft take kindly to speaker upgrades? i know BOSE brand normally doesn't sound better just because you get aftermarket speakers.

i'm not saying i wanna upgrade MINE....yes, i have the sony radio, and although it DOES sound good, it could sound better.

i have a related question....since the speakers are normally the weak link in oem systems...does the sony/mft take kindly to speaker upgrades? i know BOSE brand normally doesn't sound better just because you get aftermarket speakers.

Vehicles are the worst environment to make sound good. There is a type of sound processing in the Sony system from the factory to help make it sound better but I'm sure there is room for improvement.

the12v.com should have information on the 11/12 MY X now or very soon as installers dig into the wiring. I'm sure there are several external amplifiers that could be upgraded as well as the speakers. I'm not sure if changing the speakers will have a positive or negative effect on the sound with the sound processing on.

Oh, run away from Bose as fast as you can. If you read any audiophiles forum, like AVS, you will find they aren't close to being the best speakers and most off of the hype is marketing.

Just curious what feature you'd want that is not available on the current model?

Almost every media medium has been accounted for in this Ex.

In all likelihood I wouldn't change out the stereo, but I like having the flexibility down the road if wanted. Especially if something goes wrong out of warranty, I'm guessing that these suckers aren't cheap to replace.

I tend to keep cars for 7-10 years, and as technologies change it's good to have the option to put something else in.

Back